More great pottery blogging this month. I’m always impressed with the amount of information shared. Thanks for all your hard work pottery bloggers!
Also, in case you missed it, we are having a contest:
Find out how to enter the contest here: https://www.potterymakinginfo.com/contest-clay-space/
Now, on with the blogging!
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Blog – objective clay: Making a Six Sided Bowl
- Pottery Making Info » News: Clay Blog Review: April 2015
- Claying Thoughts: Journey of a Coil Pot
- Blue Starr Gallery: Sheetrock equals Pottery Drying Boards
- Matthew Blakely: Shrinking and vitrification
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Temoku Glaze Inlay
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: I’ll start with throwing a few mugs
- Blog – objective clay: Slip-Slab Construction: Bone Dry Building
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Blue Starr Gallery: City of Rocks
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Fifty Pounds Of Fun
- Jenny Mendes: We are all one
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Bird of Prey, Stooping, Child of Mountain, Nesting
- NCECA Blog: Robert Lawarre in the Process Room
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Stamping Vases
- musing about mud: movie day: Mari Ogihara
- Claying Thoughts: Terracotta Sun Planter
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Stamped Bowls
- Hughes Pottery: Frenetic, Frantic and other big F words
- Sawdust & Dirt: Focus
- Hobby Potter – Ceramic Artist Tammy Jo Schoppet Official Blog: Ep 13 HOBBY POTTER WEEKLY – Mosaic Guestbook Pt.1
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: Grayson Perry makes a pot on twitter
- ang design blog: more news soon…
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: A Return To Glazing
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Bisque Kiln Load
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Tiny Touches
- Barnbarroch Pottery: Lots to do and not everyone is helping
- Blue Starr Gallery: Firing Bells & Bell Parts
- Kim Murton: first couple of days to be cont’d
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Let The Glazing Begin…
- Hobby Potter – Ceramic Artist Tammy Jo Schoppet Official Blog: Making Mosaic Guestbook – Clay – Stanislaus Artist Open Studio Tour
- Sawdust & Dirt: What’s Next?
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Stacked & Packed
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Spoons : Glazed & Prepped
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Made From Scratch
- New Day Pottery: Ciel Collaboration and Pottery Classes
- meesh’s pottery: We Still Make Pots
- Tony Clennell: Small feet
- Claying Thoughts: Video: How to make a Clay Rose
- Kim Murton: Ready to slip paint-process photo’s
- musing about mud: 3D printing @ Northcote Pottery Supplies with Alterfact
- The Cloud Pottery: Crack on
- Tony Clennell: No mistaken!
- Hobby Potter – Ceramic Artist Tammy Jo Schoppet Official Blog: Making Teabowls – A Practice – Ep 15 Hobby Potter Weekly
- part time pottery: when it rains….
- Tony Clennell: Brother where art thou?
- groszceramika: Czas leci.
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Spontaneous
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: Making Work in CORE Gallery
- Anna’s Ceramics by Anna Ryland: New Fruit Bowl
- musing about mud: movie day: Art of Craft | Jinny Whitehead
- Dawn Whitehand: Visual Artist: Exploring New Sculptural Forms
- Claying Thoughts: Handmade Ganesha Sculpture
- Tony Clennell: The Supervisor
- Pixels And Pencils and a lot of clay!: Big girl panties….
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: Last Raku at Palmer Hall
- Kim Murton: Painted w/Slip not fired yet
- weddwould: A long time between drinks…..
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Clay Club: Reglazing Pots
- Marian Williams Pottery: Tips For Mixing Glazes In A Bucket – Without The Mess!
- Alchemy of Clay: Safety in firing kilns for clay and glazing
- Diving into the clay: brooklynmuseum: In addition to working directly on objects,…
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Spoon Supports
- Clay Club: Refiring on the side or side firing
- Clay Club: Barium copper blues
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: Getting the rehydrated clay workable
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Whynot Pottery Blog: May Tiles
- Gary’s third pottery blog: blossoms
- Learning to be Fearless: Family Collaboration Time (Again)
- Alchemy of Clay: To cradle the light
- Zygote Blum: Capital Clay Invitational 2015
- Zygote Blum: Akar 2015
- Peter’s Pottery: Wood Fired Kiln Revisited… Becky’s first Firing. The Road of Life has “bumps”, “potholes”, and other unpleasant things!
- Arryn Vogan Pottery: Spring Trunk Show
- part time pottery: Mom’s Matte Red
- flyeschool.com: May 6th 2015
- Alchemy of Clay: Celebrating abundance
- The Rabbit Muse: Shop update TOMORROW, Friday May 8th!
- Fine Mess Pottery: $1 Shipping Sale
- Jenny Mendes: Show time!
- Clay and Ginger: Some new dishes with cats. Some are going into my etsy shop and…
- Gaea Ceramic Bead and Art Studio Blog: Playing…
- Karatsupots Blog: Karatsu Yakimon Matsuri
- Gary’s third pottery blog: a tale of two types of vases…
- Liberty Stoneware: On the Farm, New Pots, and Motherhood
- Around and About with Bulldog Pottery: AKAR Yunomi Invitational – opens May 15, 2015
- paul the potter: So whats been going on @ Barrington Pottery
- Daria Claiborne Pottery: May 2015 firing
- Future Relics Pottery Blog: Squaring Pots
- Gary’s third pottery blog: pretty flowers and nightmares….
- Blue Starr Gallery: Always Room for Improvement
- WILLOW AVENUE POTTERY: One big project done….
- Clay and Ginger: Kiln opening day…top shelf for now. Its gardening time so…
- Gaea Ceramic Bead and Art Studio Blog: Every Time a Bell Rings….
- Alchemy of Clay: Archaic or Neuvo-Primitive
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: ‘Tis The Season For Berry Bowls
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Here’s The Scoop… Quite Literally…
- GretaMichelle Joachim: Pieces Of My World: Friday Up!
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: New : The Quite White Collection
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: A Couple Colors Too
- meesh’s pottery: It’s always something
- Blue Starr Gallery: Multicolored Experimental Results
- Down to the Earth Pottery: Results and Friends the Final Four Weeks
- Sue Pariseau Pottery: So…I’ve Been Thinking
- The Rabbit Muse: Shop update TOMORROW, TUESDAY May 26th!
- Rae Dunn … clay » clay.: black and white . . .
- Gary’s third pottery blog: if it is Wednesday, it is BOWL DAY
- Jose Maria Mariscal – Ceramicas Mariscal: Reducción de dioxido de titanio hierro rojo y dioxido de manganeso
- Clay Club: Side Fired Pieces (from Youtube video)
- Alchemy of Clay: More pottery and some magic afoot
- Blue Starr Gallery: Garden Bells or Wind Chimes
- meesh’s pottery: Luminaries
- Tony Clennell: Teach to learn
- andrewwiddis: Simple black bowl.
- Whynot Pottery Blog: Saturday at the end of May
- Hints and Tips for the Potter: 46. OPEN STUDIO
- andrewwiddis: Mug.
- andrewwiddis: Mugs.
- Jenny Mendes: Pottery for Nepal
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- MARSHALL COLMAN FIRED UP: BUT IS IT ART? BUT IS IT COPYRIGHT?
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: BREAKING NEWS: Scientists confirm Objective Quality in Art
- Diving into the clay: Does craftsmanship matter anymore? – Burnaway
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Why craftsmanship is like grammar
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Lift a finger in support of artists
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Cinderella artists
- this artist’s life: beautiful mistakes
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: “Less theory, more work”
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Teach like a bandit
- MARSHALL COLMAN FIRED UP: THE UNITY OF THE ARTS
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: Saying “sorry no” to custom orders
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: A Passion for Clay | Susan Halls | Episode 107
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler: Jim Skutt on the history of Skutt Kilns and the development of internet-based kiln monitoring
- The Potters Cast: Social Media for Art | Guy Mitchell | Episode 108
- The Potters Cast: Pushing the Limits | Larry Elardo | Episode 109
- The Potters Cast: A Fermenting Artist | Jeremy Ogusky | Episode 110
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler: Cheyenne and Nigel Rudolph on archeology, pottery, and performance art
- The Potters Cast: Setting Intentions | Sunshine Cobb | Episode 111
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler: Paul Blais on working through illness and podcasting
- The Potters Cast: Risk Taking | Ted Secombe | Episode 113
What do potters blog about other than pottery?
- Tony Clennell: Mind Blowing
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: Cosmic Mug Giveaway, Laughing Squid Feature, and Mainstream Art Ambitions
- Pic Works Pottery: Recent work & Packing and Mailing Communion Sets
- Tony Clennell: How many masters does it take to glaze a jar?
- Whistle Creek: Spring Fair
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Every Pot Tells A Story
- HaldeBlog: Studio update
- Fine Mess Pottery: Also, Water is Wet!
- Fine Mess Pottery: Adding Promo Codes to Paypal Buttons
- Tony Clennell: Universal language
- Fine Mess Pottery: Lazy Evening
- Tony Clennell: My mouth’s a jar
- Anna’s Ceramics by Anna Ryland: April Autumn Holiday
- Down to the Earth Pottery: Penland Highlights the First Four Weeks
- Tony Clennell: Pottery High Fashion
- Tony Clennell: Over the moon
- Alchemy of Clay: Tiny pots estimated cost
- Future Relics Pottery Blog:
- Blog – objective clay: What Lies Around the Bend
- Jenni Ward: Inspiration: 5 Ways to Kill Your Dreams
- Tracey Broome: Emotional roller coaster for sale
- NCECA Blog: Creating Community Among Residents
- Marian Williams Pottery: Follow The Clay-A Clay Addiction: Camaraderie Amongst Potters/Sculptors
- Tony Clennell: Antonio Whassa matta for you?
- Dawn Whitehand: Visual Artist: Sunday Studio Visit – Workshopping Mosaics
- Around and About with Bulldog Pottery: Introducing the Cousins!
- Liz Crain Ceramics: Desperately Seeking These 53 People!
- musing about mud: movie day: Kintsugi: The Art of Broken Pieces
- Kristen Kieffer: Standing to Throw & CM Spotlight
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Golden Ratio in Art, or Bogus Bias in Brains?
- MARSHALL COLMAN FIRED UP: POTTERY THROWERS OF STOKE-ON-TRENT
- Leslie Farin: Who Else Wants to Sell Their Artwork?
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Minnesota Pottery Tour : Fun As Always
- The Potters Cast: Build the List | Paul Blais | Episode 112
- Pottery by Lisa: Pain, Pregnancy and Pottery
- Marian Williams Pottery: Setting Up A Great Pottery Studio!
- pots and pieces: NCECA in Review (Providence 2015). Friday 26th March.
- NCECA Blog: Throwback Thursday: 2010 Conference Closing Lecture, Malcolm Davis
- Learning to be Fearless: A Visit to the Heath Ceramics Factory
That’s a wrap. Don’t forget to visit some of the fine bloggers above and leave them a comment. Or share their blogs on social media. Or buy their pots!
And if you are looking for even more great stuff, sign up for the Pottery Making Newsletter!
Thanks for reading.