There was a lot of great pottery blogging in the month of June!
We also saw the conclusion of the Clay Space Contest. The winner has been notified and the final results will be posted soon. Thanks to all the participants and those who cast votes! It seemed to go pretty well, we’ll have to do it again in the future.
To hear about more contests and get some great pottery tips you can sign up for the Pottery Making Newsletter. It’s free!
And now, on to the pottery blogs:
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Pottery Making Info » News: Clay Blog Review: May 2015 (in case you missed it!)
- Blog – objective clay: New Directions
- Alchemy of Clay: Monarch glazes
- Whistle Creek: Handles Revisited
- Dawn Whitehand: Visual Artist: Sunday Studio Visit: Pit Firing
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: My Scoop Making Addiction
- musing about mud: guest post: The Great Korean Expedition 2015 by Chris Snedden
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Gary’s third pottery blog: favorite day of the year: something old and something new….
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Coming Together
- Hobby Potter – Ceramic Artist Tammy Jo Schoppet Official Blog: My Big Fat Greek “Shot Glass” Project!…
- Kim Murton: Painted and bisqued
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: Slip Technique with Balloon by Ron Philbeck
- Whistle Creek: Change
- Arryn Vogan Pottery: M2T Records Installation
- Kim Murton: New piece Fox
- Tony Clennell: While you were sleeping
- Anna’s Ceramics by Anna Ryland: Teapots underway
- Tony Clennell: Blame it on the moon
- Tony Clennell: An arm and a leg!
- Tony Clennell: I am the eggman
- Rose And The Bluedoor: 2015 Update and A Work In Progress from 2014 from me! Rose Maguire at THE BLUEDOOR STUDIO…MORE 2015 news coming…
- Tony Clennell: I put on 8 lbs.
- Claying Thoughts: Cooling Summers with Clay
- Anna’s Ceramics by Anna Ryland: New Friends, an exhibition plus teapots
- Tony Clennell: Phamtom Ghosts
- Kim Murton: Studio helpers
- Tony Clennell: Howlin at the moon
- Dawn Whitehand: Visual Artist: Sunday Studio Visit : Insomnia!
- Teaching/Craft: Pausing
- musing about mud: movie day: Gustavo Pérez
- Gary’s third pottery blog: the competition is getting hot and heavy…
- Kim Murton: glaze firing 04
- weddwould: Waiting for the great leap forward
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: First Week of Summer Work
- musing about mud: movie day: FROM CLAY TO MOSAICS
- Craig Hartenberger Ceramics: Work in Our Studio in Mexico
- Bridges Pottery Blog: Just a little production
- Michael Mahan: Birds
- Blue Starr Gallery: Oblong Pedestal Bowl
- Anna’s Ceramics by Anna Ryland: Busy in the studio
- Tony Clennell: Bowling for Dollars
- Jenny Mendes: Been work’n
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: Workshop at Archie Bray, Next Month
- Whistle Creek: Excessive Handle Disorder
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Hobby Potter – Ceramic Artist Tammy Jo Schoppet Official Blog: Duncan High Fire Index for Low Fire Glazes
- Clay Club: Crater Test Series
- Future Relics Pottery Blog: Ash Glaze Recipe
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: Making a Crackly Surface for Obvara Firing | MARCIA SELSOR
- American Potter: AG-19 “Issenburg’s” Glaze is 50% wood ash, 50% Red Art; Wood Ash Hot Tips
- MARSHALL COLMAN FIRED UP: NEW WORK AT “ART IN CLAY”
- Acorn Pottery: rewind
- Clay Club: Problems with Highwater clays!!??
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: And Now For Something Completely Different: Less Theory, More Work
- Gary’s third pottery blog: a whole zoo in ONE mug….
- Rough Ideas: #3 summer solstice 2015
- Kim Murton: glazed not glued
- Gary’s third pottery blog: productivity….
- Rough Ideas: #4 summer solstice 2015
- Alchemy of Clay: Rethinking an old design
- Gaea Ceramic Bead and Art Studio Blog: 999 Apparently.
- Rough Ideas: #5 summer solstice 2015
- andrewwiddis: Platter.
- The Rabbit Muse: Shop update TOMORROW, Tuesday June 9th!
- Acorn Pottery: clay, paper, canvas
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: The Dinnerware Challenge
- Rough Ideas: #10 summer solstice 2015
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Fresh From The Kiln
- Combat Medic to Ceramic Artist…a Disabled Veteran’s Story: My First Juried Show!!
- Rough Ideas: #11 summer solstice 2015
- Alchemy of Clay: From the studio
- Little Brick House Clayworks: Wedding favours part 2
- Rough Ideas: #12 summer solstice 2015
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: This Weekend : Hindale Fine Arts Festival
- Rough Ideas: #13 summer solstice 2015
It has been said we make our world by what we choose to see but potters might say we make our world by what we choose to use.
- Alchemy of Clay: The last archaic design vases
- part time pottery: Still fighting the damn kiln
- JEANETTE MANCHESTER HARRIS: Pitchers
- paul the potter: Mixing Business with Pleasure
- Rough Ideas: #16 summer solstice 2015
- Gary’s third pottery blog: just add flowers….
- CHLOE DYMOND DESIGNS: MAJOR UPDATE NEEDED
- Kristen Kieffer: Shop Welcome To Summer!
- Rough Ideas: #17 summer solstice 2015
- flyeschool.com: June 17th 2015
- Jenni Ward: In The Studio
- Rough Ideas: #18 summer solstice 2015
- Alchemy of Clay: painted monarch results
- The Cloud Pottery: Show up
- Rough Ideas: #20 summer solstice 2015
- Alchemy of Clay: The blues on pots
- Gary’s third pottery blog: Minty Blue for Mugshot Monday….
- Gary’s third pottery blog: getting cat vases out of my system
- Alchemy of Clay: Pottery chugging along
- New Day Pottery: Busy in a hot studio
- part time pottery: Wood Fire
- PATRICIA GRIFFIN CERAMICS – BLOG: Character building
- Artworks of Johnson Tsang: Latest works by Johnson Tsang
- Kim Murton: A few for The Real Mother Goose
- Gary’s third pottery blog: Teapot Tuesday and toads…..
- Kitty’s Granada Studio: A Bit of a Shakey Firing
- Phil Rogers Pottery, Rhayader, Wales: PR288 Ash Glazed Yunomi.
- Phil Rogers Pottery, Rhayader, Wales: PR289 A wood fired lidded jar with ash glaze.
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- Tony Clennell: Deep in thought!
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: How I fell in love with pottery
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Taking the Good With the Bad
- Blog – objective clay: Some thoughts on Workshopping
- NCECA Blog: On Mentorship and Perspective
- weddwould: Putting the unction into function
Good craft needs no dusting.Good functional craft is too busy being used all the time.What is the function of function? Don’t get me started.
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Creativity had a baby and they named it Art
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: A Road Less Traveled | Kim-Anh Nguyen | Episode 114
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler: Forrest Middelton on appropriation and the language of pattern
- The Potters Cast: Team Up for Art Success | Amy Sanders | Episode 115
- The Potters Cast: Why Clay | Connee Mayerson | Episode 116
- The Potters Cast: Work Hard for Success | Corey Johnson | Episode 117
- The Potters Cast: Progress of a Potter | Tiffany Hilton | Episode 118
- The Potters Cast: Formula for Success | Mea Rhee | Episode 119
- The Potters Cast: The Potters of Firsk | Dimension X | Episode 120
- The Potters Cast: Mud Tools & Tools for Life | Michael Sherrill | Episode 121
- The Potters Cast: 3-D Printing with Clay | Brett Fruend | Episode 122
What do potters blog about other than pottery?
- meesh’s pottery: Cousins in Clay
- Barnbarroch Pottery: Images from a busy Spring Fling
- JEANETTE MANCHESTER HARRIS: Become Master of the Pot–Advice to Artists
- NCECA Blog: A History of Table Traditions and Related Recipes
- Jenni Ward: Free Ebook!
- MARSHALL COLMAN FIRED UP: WILLIAM STAITE MURRAY: PIONEER POTTER
- MARSHALL COLMAN FIRED UP: QUALITY CONTROL: 10 CONTEMPORARY POTTERS
- Blue Starr Gallery: Studio Projects
- Clay Club: Nanny Cam for my kiln
- NCECA Blog: Inside NCECA; Vol I, Issue 16: The Board Meeting
- Dawn Whitehand: Visual Artist: Sunday Studio Visit – Etsy Craft Party
- Combat Medic to Ceramic Artist…a Disabled Veteran’s Story: Haystack and Combat Paper…A GREAT combination!
- Alchemy of Clay: Friends and neighbors
- NCECA Blog: Remembering Glenda Taylor
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Show and Tell
- this artist’s life: is it time to leave oakland?
- City by the Sea Ceramics: Pottery by Karen Mahoney Blog: Residency position and the Kickstarter to fund it
- Sawdust & Dirt: When The Mud Meets The Bat
- musing about mud: movie day: Buncheong(ceramic) ????, Constancy & Change in Korean Traditional Craft 2014
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Sale recap and this weekend’s promo
- Sawdust & Dirt: Are You A Solopreneur?
- Liberty Stoneware: A Little Kiln Christmas
- Clay Club: Recap: June Clay Cub at Shane Mickey Pottery in Bakersville
- Diving into the clay: Georgia’s Giant Clay Pots Hold An 8,000-Year-Old Secret To Great Wine
- Bridges Pottery Blog: Map of where my pottery in the US
- Diving into the clay: I had missed the video that goes with the larger than life…
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: Packing and Moving to Palmer Martin
- MARSHALL COLMAN FIRED UP: CERAMICS IN STORE
- Alchemy of Clay: Pottery, Poetry and Person
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: Concrete Wedging Block
- Patricia Griffin Ceramics – BLOG: Inspiration from Ireland: The Potters – Robert Lee
- Diving into the Clay: The Guggenheim Puts 109 Free Modern Art Books Online
- Rachel Dorn: Moving the Kiln
- Rachel Dorn: New Building Photos
- Jenny Mendes: Jean-Nicolas Gérard: “The Potter’s Potter” film about French slipware po…
- Tony Clennell: Blundies, sneakers and berkies
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: Electric Kiln – A guide to Clays, Glazes and Electric Kilns
Purchase Electric Kiln Ceramics: A Guide to Clays, Glazes, and Electric Kilns here to help support Pottery Making Info.
- Tony Clennell: Hot dogs
Wood kilns are designed to keep you humble. Just when ya think you know it all they bite you right on the arse.
- Marian Williams Pottery: Christine Nofchissey McHorse: Wicked Wednesday’s WOW!!!!
- Karatsupots Blog: Rainy Season Is Here
- Future Relics Pottery Blog: Practice, Practice, Practice
- Mug Revolution’s blog: Hollywood, baby!
- Tracey Broome: Run towards the unknown daylight
- Jenni Ward: Ceramics as a Material
- pots and pieces: First month as Mark Hewitt’s Apprentice
Thanks for reading! If you know about other pottery blogs that could be added to the list drop me a note.
gary Rith says
Thanks so much, as usual, for your support 🙂
Lori Buff says
Thanks for including some of my blog posts here. I appreciate it.
thanks so much for including me again on the list and more than once!! 🙂
Jenni Ward says
Thanks so much for including me on the list!