Welcome to the Clay Blog Review, where we will look at the past month’s best pottery blogging. Thanks for supporting this site and all the great blogs below.
If you love what you find here, don’t forget to subscribe to the monthly newsletter here.
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- John Bauman: Steamin’
- fetishghost: Stepping Stones
- fetishghost: BangCock
- Marshall Colman: ATTACHING HANDLES TO MUGS
- Marshall Colman: HOW TO TURN A FOOT-RING ON A BOWL
- Sparano Arts » Feed: If one wall is good, 2 are better?
- Gary Jackson: Bowls On Purpose… With a Decorative Flair
- Pottery Making Blog: 12 Tips for Making Pots
- Rachel Dorn: Recycling a Large Batch of Clay without a Pugmill
- Sparano Arts » Feed: How to close a shape, but more importantly why!
- Glynnis Lessing: Wedging: it’s not about air bubbles!
This month’s Review is brought to you by the new shirt design in the Pottery Shirt Shop. Take a look if you want some unique clothing to show off your love for clay.
Now, more great blogs!
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Gary Jackson: Textured Tiles
- Linda Starr: Replenishing Pendant Supplies
- John Bauman: Living Still
- Courtney Martin: New platter, work in progress. #courtneymartinpottery #
- Tony Clennell: Man Talk
- Gary Jackson: Accents
- Gary Jackson: Mugs : Another Batch
- Kim Murton: Painting lips, beards and eyes
- Rachel Dorn: Patriot Bulbs in Progress
- Tony Clennell: Born to be Wild
- Tony Clennell: Easy Money
- Marshall Colman: THE RIGHT METHOD FOR POTTERY MAKING
- Jenni Ward: Catching Up with Multiple Works in Progress
- Big Ceramic Store: Upright Pottery Spoon Rest Project
- Rachel Dorn: Texturing Pods
- Gary Jackson: Even Less Than “Basic” Bowls
- Tony Clennell: Coffee Culture
- Claying Thoughts: Clay Pyramid Lamp
- Tony Clennell: All Gawds Little Creatures
- Kim Murton: In the studio today
- Whynot Pottery: Last week it was
- Big Ceramic Store: Barn Swallows For The Wall
- Gary Jackson: Mugshot Monday
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Rachel Dorn: Text on Bulbs and Mugs
- Sparano Arts » Feed: Plates, done quickly and simply
- fetishghost: SAG Cone 6-7 Shino
- Liz Crain Ceramics: An E-Mail With Everything I Know About Cold Finishes
- Sparano Arts » Feed: Everyone loves a chip n’dip
- Handbuilder’s Magazine » Free Blog Category Feed: Clay Tools Storage DIY Solution
- Porcelain By Antoinette Badenhorst – Blog Details: Differences between various kinds of porcelain.
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Linda Starr: Leaf Pendant Tic Tac Toe
- meesh’s pottery: Seeing Stars
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: More Chawans
- Barb Rogers: The Monarchs were hiding
- andy priestman: Photo
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Paola Paronetto’s ‘Cartocci’ Sculptures of Paper + Clay
- Nell Hazinski Ceramics: June Nerikomi Workshop Pots
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Spotted | Drunken Cannonball! Tricky Ceramics, Spiral Vessels and more!
- Tony Clennell: Free Hot Dog
- Earth Work: Further developments with texture
- fetishghost: Before and After
- Rachel Dorn: Fun with Decals
- Blog – Clay By Laura: RFP = Request For Pottery!
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Design | Hella Jongerius Exhibition ‘Breathing Colour’ Explores ‘Unstable’ Color
- Barb Rogers: Stained bust of Kali
- Barb Rogers: Tiny Vases
- Courtney Martin: Place setting. #courtneymartinpottery #placesetting #pl
- Emily Schroeder Willis: Show is up!
- BHClaysmith – Atom: Finished Frustum Cups
- John Bauman: First Firing For Minnesota
- Whynot Pottery: Just a few tiles
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Auction | Featured Item! Daniel Johnston’s Stunning Large Lidded Vessel
- John Bauman: Getting Ready
- Gary Jackson: Stamped Porcelain Vases : ArtReach Fundraiser
- HaldeBlog: Five HaldeCraft Yarn Bowl styles
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Saladier et pichet, tournés, fait main
- Dawn Whitehand: Come See What I Have Been Up To In The Studio!
- Fetishghost Studios: Sunday Weekly Ketchup
- Barb Rogers: Pale flowers and leaves
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Lagniappe – A Little Something Goes A Long Way
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: Flawed gems
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | A Psychoanalysis, Brad Miller’s ‘Stones & Object Relations Theory’
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Pop-Up Shop | Arnie Zimmerman on Being the Artist in the Factory
- Naomi Linehan: Personalisation (Ceramic clouds)
- (title unknown): And the most current firing…
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Universal and Sublime: The Vessels of Magdalene Odundo
- HaldeBlog: Five current HaldeCraft mugs
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Poterie d’art
- Barb Rogers: Summertime joy
- Whynot Pottery: Firing in July
- Lori Buff: Chun Blue Mug
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
HaldeBlog: Lessons Learned
John Bauman: Orchard Talk
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: A Lovely Story of Life with Clay | Pippin Drysdale | Episode 332
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 186: Jessica Brandl on the influence of Gothic novels and dark humor
- The Potters Cast: Frank is a Man I Need to Thank | Frank James Fisher | Episode 333
- Handbuilder’s Magazine » Free Blog Category Feed: Developing Fresh Pottery Ideas Is Part of Your Ceramics Work
- The Potters Cast: Saying “I Belong” as an Artist | Lisa McGrath | Episode 334
- Blog – objective clay: A conversation between Emily Schroeder Willis & Shawn Spangler
- The Potters Cast: “Live With Your Work” | Marina Temkin | Episode 335
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 187: Red Star Resident panel extravaganza with Olsen, Daniels, Iyoda, Connell and Lin
- The Potters Cast: “Follow That Lead” | Betsy Williams | Episode 336
- Bella Joy Pottery: Kalamazoo Lively Arts-Bella Joy Pottery
- Bella Joy Pottery: CraftSanity Podcast-Bella Joy Pottery
- The Potters Cast: Old Dog Learning New Tricks | Brad Miller | Episode 337
- Kristen Kieffer: Potter of the Month
- The Potters Cast: Pivoting to Clay | Courtney Murphy | Episode 338
- The Potters Cast: Firefighter Turns Potter | Frank Nemick | Episode 339
- Blog – objective clay: A conversation between Jen Allen & Emily Schroeder Willis
What’s out there for potters?
- Handbuilder’s Magazine » Free Blog Category Feed: Incredible Pottery Seminar, Cheap!
- Clay Club: Call for artists for “Cups in Common” exhibition at Clayworks in Charlotte
- Bungart Studios: Brush Making Workshop
What else do potters blog about?
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | The Berlin Painter Lands First Solo Show – Thousands of Years Later
- Handbuilder’s Magazine » Free Blog Category Feed: Finding Pottery Ideas and Inspiration
- Whynot Pottery: July 2017
- Jose Maria Mariscal: Shoji Hamada- Shinsaku Hamada- Tomoo Hamada
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: The WHY Question | Delving into the Disappearance of the UK’s Ceramics Ed Programs
- Tony Clennell: 3 certain ways to lose money
Until today the 3 sure ways to lose money were-1. Gambling is probably the quickest.2. Women probably the most pleasurable.3. Wood firing pottery probably the most certain.
- Gary Jackson: Handmade Pottery Aprons
- Clay Club: Recap: July Clay Club at Andy Palmer’s studio in Bakersville
- Carol Clarkson: Taking Inventory of Your Artwork
- Carol Clarkson: Get Busy, Start Creating
- Tony Clennell: Hand Job
- Tony Clennell: Going out on a limb
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: NewsFile | Crusty Protestors, NEA Moolah, Subversive Ceramics and more!
- zephyrvalleypottery: I’m down with O.P.P!
Lori Buff says
Thanks for including my article and for compiling this list.
Dawn Whitehand says
Another great list – thanks for including me 🙂