This is it! The last Clay Blog Review of 2017. It has been a great year. And be on the lookout for a list of the top blogs of the year in the next few days.
If you love pottery you can sign up for the monthly or bi-monthly newsletter. New tips, offers, and opportunities sent right to your email inbox.
Let’s get to the blogs!
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Pottery Making Blog: Clay Blog Review: November 2017
- Pots and pieces: Mark Hewitt Pottery. Firing 98 and Kiln Opening. Winter 2017.
- Rachel Dorn: Building Solid for Video
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 202: Clay, Community, and Faith among Goshen’s Mennonite Potters
- Kristen Kieffer: Studio Cycles Pictorial 2017
The last CBR of 2017 is sponsored by Expert Clay. This is a new site that we’re working on to help clay experts share what they know and clay learners become experts. You can sign up for updates and information at expertclay.com. It’s going to be awesome!
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Rachel Dorn: Waiting
- Linda Starr: Revised Butter Dish
- Musing About Mud: movie day: hybrids from Tal Batit
- Jenni Ward: Video: Stretching out Clay!
- Acorn Pottery: Toad houses…with toads
- Jenni Ward: Work in Progress: New Series!
- Linda Starr: Rectangular Butter Dish and Butter Knives
- Sparano Arts » Feed: Where I’ve been and what I’ve been doing
- Linda Starr: The American Beech
- Barb Rogers: Moon Dancer Three
- Linda Starr: Mugs and More Birds
- Tony Clennell: Pokes, scars and mistakes
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Gary Jackson: The Coolest Carving Tools
- Gary Jackson: See?… This Still Doesn’t Work…
- Gary Jackson: Merry Christmas to Me!!!
- Mea Rhee: A New Peanut Strategy
- Lori Watts: Fire Down Below
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Tony Clennell: You’re wrong!
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Bol poterie d’art fait main
- Whynot Pottery: Just a quick view in the kiln
- Gary Jackson: St. Nick’s Sneak Peek
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: “Flower Vases with Flowers in a Vase” Paul Mathieu
- andy priestman: Photo
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Elise Poivet / La maladresse créative
- Whynot Pottery: Quick shots
- Gary Jackson: St. Nick’s Day Online Mug Sale : This Wednesday
- Catherine White: #5 decembrance 2017
- Barb Rogers: More Holly Jolly pottery
- Jenny Mendes: HOLIDAY online SALE DEC 7-11
- Barb Rogers: Pottery Market in Marion NC
- Mea Rhee: New Pots for the Open Studio 2017
- Jenny Mendes:
- WALLYWARE: Wally’s Holiday Shopping Guide
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Another successful firing
- Barb Rogers: Turquoise glaze
- ANN TUBBS POTTERY STUDIO: An Idea for a New Glaze Pattern–the Oak Leaf
- Courtney Martin: I made a few serving dishes when we were in Goshen as @
- Nell Hazinski Ceramics: Holiday Sale 2018, online
- Arryn Vogan: Advent Candle Pot
- Courtney Martin: I took advantage of the snowy moody light, photographed
- Anna’s Ceramics: Off to Ireland without me
- Peter Gregory: A Good Firing of the Wood Fired Kiln!
- Gary Jackson: Not Mere Mud Masks
- BHClaysmith – Atom: The Perfect Begging Bowl…
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: Winter Chawans at Studiopottery.co.uk
- New Day Pottery: Last minute gift ideas
- Catherine White: #10 decembrance 2017
- At the water’s edge! Beachfront Pottery blog: Ceramic art pieces in the 2017 St Louis Community College faculty art exhibit
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Shiny Objects
- Kyle Carpenter: Last striped daisy cup. Direct Message me if you’d like it. . . #????? #studiopottery #saltfired #828isgreat #asheville #handmade #pottery
- Clay and Ginger: Iris floral plate in sgraffito pottery. Sort of van Gogh, no?…
- Kristen Kieffer: New Work Online!
- Courtney Martin: ?Lunch plate with stars!? For sale online, link in
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Vases + Vessels, Chance Encounters + Material: Earth, Three British Ceramics Exhibitions
- Marshall Colman: LONDON POTTERS EXHIBITION AT MORLEY COLLEGE
- Gary Jackson: Plenty of Plates
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Yale Center for British Art: Things of Beauty Growing is a Sparkling Gem
- Courtney Martin: Everyday bowl with circles. Available in our e-shop. Li
- Il Vasaio A5f11: CHAWAN “Yin e Yang”
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Possibili combinazioni con tazze “Chawan” e Teiera da 300ML…
- Kim Murton: Little Things Show-Guardino Gallery Portland, OR
- Linda Starr: Flowers in December
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Ulis Ceramics
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: New work for Rippingham Art
- Catherine White: #16 decembrance 2017
- Rachel Dorn: Flipped Class Format & Results
- Barb Rogers: Cauldrons or big bowls
- Whynot Pottery: Salt
- Musing About Mud: monday morning eye candy: Ruta Bartkeviciute
- Gary Jackson: Mud & Metal : A Huge Thank You
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | “Long Overdue” 2017 Turner Prize Goes to Lubaina Himid
- andy priestman: Photo
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Vaso per Bonsai “Serie TOP”
- Rae Dunn … clay » clay.: cheers.
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Design | Heath Clay Studio’s Ceramic Creatures Bring Fables to Life
- Rae Dunn … clay » clay.: stem print.
- Catherine White: # 20 decembrance 2017
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Foto File Inside: Regarding George Ohr at Boca Raton Museum of Art
- BHClaysmith – Atom: The Many Faces of ALFREDO
- Rachel Dorn: Making Gifts
- groszceramika: Nowe naczynia/New pots.
- Marshall Colman: TONDINO
- Tony Clennell: The Ghosts of Christmas Past
- Rachel Dorn: Nesting Cats, Done
- At the water’s edge! Beachfront Pottery blog: 20th Century American Ceramics Exhibit; Part 1: Vessels with lids
- Barb Rogers: 2017 Review some clay creations
- Jenny Mendes: Cats, Lovers, Warriors, & Happiness
- Linda Starr: 2017 Looking Back
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- Blog – objective clay: Deb Schwartzkopf’s Thoughts on Making
- Blog – objective clay: Kip O’Kronglys Thoughts on Making
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Commentary | Paul Mathieu: Reflections on Edmund De Waal’s Phaidon Monograph
- Blog – objective clay: gwendolyn yoppolo’s Thoughts on Making
- Tony Clennell: Taking Orders
- Blog – objective clay: Lindsay Oesterritter’s Thoughts on Making
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: A Unique Style | Larissa Warren | Episode 376
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 199: Miniaturist Brooke Rothshank on her small-scale watercolor painting
- The Potters Cast: Courage to be a Creator and to Sell | Olivia Walker | Episode 377
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 200: Justin Rothshank on running a successful online business from a rural location
- The Potters Cast: Why Grad School | Naomi Clement | Episode 378
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 201: Bill Kremer and Zach Tate on the history of Notre Dame University Ceramics
- The Potters Cast: Pursuing the Business of Clay | Tabbatha Henry | Episode 379
- The Potters Cast: The Wondering Stage | Molly McGuire | Episode 380
- The Potters Cast: An Honest Discussion About Making it as a Potter | Ben Jordan | Episode 381
- The Potters Cast: An Eighth-Grader Making Pottery | Fin Barnes-Long | Episode 382
- The Potters Cast: A Brick & Mortar Business | Tiffany Thomas | Episode 383
What’s out there for potters?
- John Britt Pottery: John Britt Cone 6 Glaze Discussion Workshop -Village Potter’s in Asheville NC-
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Sponsored | Apply for an MFA in Ceramics at Cranbrook Academy of Art
- Musing About Mud: residency opportunity: The Pottery Workshop Jingdezhen
- Musing About Mud: call for entry: 6th Central Time Ceramics Juried Exhibition
- Musing About Mud: call for entry: Growlerfest 2018
- Musing About Mud: workshop opportunities @ Medalta
- Emily Schroeder Willis: Arrowmont workshop catalogue is live!
What else do potters blog about?
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Finding Community
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: NewsFile | Opening Night, Voulkos + Fontana in Upcoming Auctions, NYU Job Alert + more!
- Tony Clennell: M- with thanks
- Ayumi Horie Pottery: Who is Menbachi Bozu?
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Art | Roberto Lugo, Cfile.org’s Top Artist Pick from Art Miami
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Video | Artist Transforms Ceramic Rejects into Eerie Music
- Tony Clennell: Where the big money lies.
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Commentary | Hachi Machi: Voulkos Sculpture Sells for Record Breaking Figure
- Clay Club: Recap: December Clay Club at Odyssey Clayworks in Asheville
- Fetishghost Studios: Cut cut Slice slice
- Lori Watts: Potters’ Holiday
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Featured | 2017 Year-in-Review: Cfile’s Top 5 Articles
- Lori Watts: ACC: Let’s Call The Whole Thing Off
- Musing About Mud: movie day: The Teabowl: East and West
- paul the potter: This Year I’m going to confront all of my Inner Demons and actually Make Stuff.
- Peter Gregory: Christmas and in between. Firing the wood fired kiln on New Year’s Eve. Happy New Year!
Thanks for reading!
Don’t forget, if you need a new potter shirt for 2018, check out the Pottery Shirt Shop! You can find all kinds of unique shirts. Including the newest design that lets you celebrate Christmas all year long!
Happy New Year!
Leave a Reply