Another year is in the books! And what a year it was, especially for the clay blogs. So much great information shared, connections made and potters inspired. I hope you had as much fun reading the pottery blogs as I did. If you’re just finding this site, you can see a list of the Clay Blog Reviews, check the master list of ceramic blogs and if you don’t see one listed, submit it here.
And don’t forget, we’ll see who has the best pottery blog of the year! Numbers are being crunched and the list should be available in a few days. While you wait, you can see the top blogs of the year in 2012, 2011 and 2010.
But let’s see what treasures we can find in the clay blogs from the past month.
The Can’t Miss
- DirKicker Pottery gives a brief intorduction to Seiving Glaze.
- Liberty Stoneware finds an answer to the age-old question: What to do with broken pots? Try Upcycling!
- Glynnis Lessing shares a great post about the process of Hand-building plates used by Kip O’Krongly.
- Shawna Barnes has a detailed tutorial about Making Your Own Tools.
- Carol Epp and a few others post a video where Experimental animation meets pottery.
Process and Technique
- Shambhala Pottery is Testing Slip Trailers.
- John Britt shares a video from the Craft in America Series -Potter Linda Sikora throws a milk pitcher and finishes a jar lid.
- Angela Walford is at the pointy end – gas fired earthenware…
- Tony Clennell makes use of all the kiln space with Tuckers, Teaches to learn and shares One of life’s pleasures.
- Karatsu Pots is Keeping track of clay.
- Hannah McAndrew shows that The Slip is Out.
- Carole Epp shares a video of the Workshop of Taiwan Ceramics Biennale 2008 by Chun-Bok LEE and Workshop of Taiwan Ceramics Biennale 2008 by Meredith Knapp Brickell.
- Doug Fitch is Home and not quite dry after Potting with lovely Hannah (McAndrew).
- Rachel Dorn shows us how The Pieces Start to Come Together, is Closing in on the End and Finishing More Sabbatical Work.
- John Britt shares a pair of videos of Akira Satake: Trimming a Chawan and Throwing a Chawan.
- The Hopeful Potter gets a throwing lesson.
- BPractical Pottery shows what has been happening The last three weeks….
- David Morrison Pike has New work, not fired.
Tips and Technical
- Smart Cat gives a few tips about Repurposing things to work with clay.
- Aaron Sober shares some research From the Labs of Sober, Sober, and Sober.
- Bill Amsterlaw has an Idea for smelting metal in an electric kiln.
- Marian Williams has some help if you are Fishing for your chamois? Try a float!
- Gary Jackson has mugs and ornaments Up For Grabs and New Pieces Fresh From The Kiln. He also completes the Monthly Holiday Ornament Challenge and finishes Textured Wall Pillows.
- Cinderelish wishes you a Happy Holidays.
- Shannon Q Merritt gives Joan first dibs.
- Emily Murphy has some work for her Holiday Sale.
- Patricia Griffin shows some work on Mug Monday.
- Tony Clennell shares two teapots From the Quiet Zone and More from the woodie including some Big Boys. He’s also a Straight shooter.
- Scott Cooper is distinct and credible (and has new work for sale).
- Dawn Whitehand has just what you need if you Want to Give Handmade this Christmas.
- Rae Dunn is bowled over.
- Jemerick Art has the Jemerick eLves hard at work.
- Catherine White posts a series of winter solstice work including #8 and #9.
- Lori Watts gives a peek at the Last Load, 2013 and shows the New Pots!
- Kyle Houser has Gangsters, Freaks, Pimps,Thugs and a little Arsenic for Xmas.
- Good Elephant Pottery is ready for an Open Studio!
- Round Rabbit has another Shop update.
- Steven Colby implores you: don’t be square.
- Woodfirer shares New photos and new poster.
- Liberty Stoneware has some Last Chance Holiday Shopping!
- Patricia Griffin has work Now showing at the happiest place in America!
- Karatsu Pots unveils the 8th Wood Firing Photo Record.
- Brandon Schwartz shows work from the Last Glaze Fires of 2013.
- Lindsay Oesterritter writes about the Gallery’s Perspective.
- Joel Cherrico shares a guest post by Hannah Anderson: Finding a Balance in an Imbalanced Art World.
- Carter Gillies: Why recognition or ‘success’ is sometimes humbling, A belated Thanksgiving lesson and Confirmation withdrawal.
- Diving Into the Clay shares an interesting quote.
- Brian R. Jones talks to Nicole Aquillano, Janice Jakielski and Ian Anderson.
- Ben Carter presents the Minneapolis Live Ramble, Steven Hill and Sarah Jaeger on the ToaRCR podcast.
- Jen Allen Ceramics interviews potter of the month, Deborah Schwartzkopf.
- Karatsu Pots works on a Castable door.
- Sue Pariseau shares an Inspiring Video:
- DirtKicker Pottery writes about Photographing Pottery in Natural Light.
- Ben Carter has a new video out: Design for the Soft Surface.
- Patricia Griffin announces Pottery for the Good.
- Emily Murphy shares her own Gift Guide.
- Marian Williams had a great year and offers a A Visual Review!! And shares some Pottery Creation Ideas and Inspirations for 2014!
- Doug Fitch goes Back to the drawingboard.
- Sandy Miller recaps a recent sale and Ignoring the “knowing”.
- Lori Langford is Looking Ahead to 2014.
- Scott Cooper shares some sale matters.
- Scott K. Roberts continues sharing Inspiration, The Middle Years.
- Matt Fiske shares a video about Takeshi Yasuda:
- Lori Buff finds some Love From Highwater Clay and gets a great Holiday Gift.
- Emily Schroeder Willis reviews The Happy Show.
- Carol Clarkson shares a link full of Places to Study Clay and Pottery Tools Used by Lana Wilson and Cynthia Bringle and a link to purchase Artist Canvas.
- Angela Walford thinks it’s too darn hot…
- John Britt uncovers a project that Need photos of Kilns! and reports that the North Carolina Pottery Center Receives $130,000 Grant. And finds a list for you if you’re ready for A New Year Adventure.
- Whitney Smith shares her own re-education.
- Linda Starr is Dreaming About Pottery.
- Tony Clennell listens to his Doctor’s Orders and joins the 21st century.
- Charles Hughes wants it NOW!!!
- Kristen Kieffer shares her annual Studio Cycles Pictorial.
- Liberty Stoneware to clay Like a Fish to Water.
- Brandon Schwartz shares his experience at the Dick Lehman Open House.
- Paul Jessop considers Pricing Pottery – What price a good pot?
- Mea Rhee is Ten Feet Tall.
And here we are, spinning into 2014. May your wheels run smoothly and your glazes stay suspended. Thanks for reading the Clay Blog Review and supporting Pottery Making Info.
Leave a Reply