Welcome back to another Clay Blog Review! If you haven’t been here before, below you’ll find some of the best pottery blogging from around the world all in one place. You can also see previous CBRs such as the Clay Blog Review from July 2016. And don’t forget, you can sign up for the Pottery Making Newsletter to get additional resources, tips and videos right in your inbox every month or two.
CHALLENGE: Click on three blog posts below that you find useful or inspiring and leave a comment for the author. Something quick and easy just to let them know you read their blog and encourage them to keep up the good work.
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Video | Restored Footage of a 1930s Japanese Pottery Village
- pots and pieces: Summer Kiln Firing and Opening, Mark Hewitt Pottery (Firing 95, 2016).
- Marian Williams: Grinding Your Pots Feet: A Great Solution!
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: The trouble with ‘art’
What makes one thing art will not always be what makes another thing art, and that lack of consistency, that lack of continuity, stands at the crossroads of our difficulty.
- FetishGhost: Masking Tape Stickers
- Gary Jackson: Getting a Handle On Things
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- The Smart Cat: Manatee Mermaid Monday
- Rachel Dorn: Functional Work from Last Week
- Gary Jackson: Patterned Porcelain
- Linda Starr: Glazing
- Ron Philbeck Pottery: Back to Work
- BPracticalPottery’s Blog: Veg
- Ron Philbeck Pottery: Making Some Progress
- Clay Club: Pythagorean Cup (puzzle cup)
- Gary Jackson: Glazed & Wadded
- Dawn Whitehand: Sunday Studio Visit – more custom orders!
- Gary Jackson: Soda Kiln Firing Workshop : Day Two
- Zygote Blum: Process
- Rachel Dorn: Pitcher Plants Plans
- Patricia Griffin Ceramics: Workshop Wonders!
- Dawn Whitehand: Custom Orders – an update
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: Throwing a Mug Video
- Anna’s Ceramics: Playing with clay on a cool Saturday arvo
- Tony Clennell: Penis Envy
- Tony Clennell: Stepping up to the plate!
- Gary Jackson: Stamped : Demo-On-Demand
- Gary Jackson: Before & After
- Gary Jackson: Replenish
- Big Ceramic Store: Super Cool Design Technique – Mocha Diffusion
- Rachel Dorn: New Throwing Videos
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- John Britt Pottery: Cone 6 electric Glaze Combinations and Variations
- John Britt Pottery: Cone 6 Electric Blue Glaze Combinations
- Carol Clarkson: How to make mug handles that do not crack or fall off
- John Britt Pottery: Cleaning up your pots
- FetishGhost: Cone 6 Glossy Clear Liner
- FetishGhost: Vertical Testing of the Cone 6 Oribe Green
- Gary Rith: and so the kiln is fixed…again…
- Carol Clarkson: How to make your pottery thinner…..
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: Lovely lava…crater glaze tests 2
- FetishGhost: Cone 5 Amber Glaze
- NCECA Blog: micro Mondays: Crystals of Color
- BPracticalPottery’s Blog: Klick-N-Kut Die Cutter
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Blog – Clay By Laura: The Right Ingredients
- Gary Jackson: Mugs!!!
- Kim Murton: More for Art in the Pearl Labor Day weekend
- Gary Rith: that wavy groovy thing….
- paul the potter: Barrington Pottery New Products and Showroom revamp.
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Yuki Hayama: “Beauty of Life” at Ippodo Gallery, New York
- Tim Lake Ceramics: More pots that are heading to the shows this Summer
- The Cloud Pottery: Inspired
- Whynot Pottery: Giraffes
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Gillian’s plates
- At the water’s edge! Beachfront Pottery blog: Ceramic art pieces (part 2 of 5) in the 5th Central Time Ceramics exhibit at Bradley University
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Pop-Up Shop | Peter Pincus Made a Series Just for CFile… and It’s His Most Exciting Work Yet
- Rachel Dorn: Storyteller Mugs
- Art By Fuzzy – News: Cups from the First Half (of 2016)
- At the water’s edge! Beachfront Pottery blog: Ceramic art pieces (part 3 of 5) in the 5th Central Time Ceramics exhibit at Bradley University
- Art By Fuzzy – News: Bowls from the First Half (of 2016)
- Contemporary Ceramics: Summer Rotation 2016
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Pileated Woodpecker
- Zygote Blum: I Hope
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Jenny Mendes
- Kim Murton: August- new batch
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Ten jugbirds
- Barb Rogers: Bluebird bowl
- FetishGhost: R&D Evaluation Part 2
- Gary Rith: Tom’s
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Taking An Idea One Step Further
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Vicki Shaw
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | “Ceramics Now” at the Jane Hartsook Gallery, New York City
- Gary Rith: and the latest…
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibitions | Santa Fe Indian Market: Four Exhibitions You Should Not Miss
- Gary Rith: that HOLY CATS glaze combo
- Linda Starr: Driftwood Baskets
- FetishGhost: ReDreaming
- Zygote Blum: Subtle Distraction
- At the water’s edge! Beachfront Pottery blog: Ceramic art at the Emerson Young Artist Showcase
- Rae Dunn … clay » clay.: NYNOW is NOW !
- Gary Jackson: Soda Kiln Firing Workshop : Day Three
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Perry Haas
- Zygote Blum: Penumbral
- Marshall Colman: TEN FROM HATFIELD: ART IN CLAY, 2016
- Tim Lake Ceramics: Art in Clay 2016
- Marian Williams: Totems. Did I Mention That I’m Making Totems?
- meesh’s pottery: Back to Work
- Gary Rith: even I don’t get to the beach this summer…
- Gary Rith: your own personal dragon….
- andy priestman: everything perfect, second chamber, phew!
- Rachel Dorn: New Functional Work: Story Bowls, Spoons, Jars, Sets
- Peter Gregory: Earthenware jugs and bowls.
- (title unknown): more Mishima
- andy priestman: Photo
- Gary Rith: when you wonder if you are doing the right things…
- The Smart Cat: Spoons
- WALLYWARE: 2016 Political Pottery Mania!
- Zygote Blum: Floral Romp
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- FetishGhost: AN INCOMPLETE MANIFESTO FOR GROWTH Bruce Mau
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Mythologizing classic art
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Repost: Is the value of art a material object?
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: How to parent artists
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: The interesting thing about art criticism
- Lori Watts: The Quality of the Day
- April Noble Studio: More Grad School Thoughts…
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- Clay Art Center Clay DISH: FRESHLY FUNK: Lauren Skelly online gallery and Q&A
- The Potters Cast: Being An Assistant | Garrett DeLooze | Episode 236
- The Potters Cast: Instagram Lessons | Anne Pryde | Episode 237
- FetishGhost: The Art Dealer Podcast
- The Potters Cast: A Raku Potter | Eric Stearns | Episode 238
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 150: The ceramic figure with Carole Epp, Magda Gluszek, Jill Foote-Hutton and Tammy Marinuzzi
- The Potters Cast: A Sense of Belonging | Bryan Hopkins | Episode 239
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Interview | Janet Abrams speaks to Christopher Russell about “After the Golden Age”
- The Potters Cast: A Professor’s Journey | Samuel Johnson | Episode 240
- Blog – Kara Leigh Ford Ceramics: Folksy ‘Meet the Maker’ Interview
- The Potters Cast: Giving Life to Clay | Lara Zilibowitz | Episode 241
- The Potters Cast: Making a Way | Amanda Dobbratz | Episode 242
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 151: Justin Crowe on making viral art in the Internet Age
- The Potters Cast: The Therapy of Clay | Ashleigh Christelis | Episode 243
- The Potters Cast: Finding Your Market | Mitchell Spain | Episode 244
What’s out there for potters?
- Carole Epp: call for submissions: Centre Materia
- Carol Clarkson: Call for teabowl entries by December 2, 2016
- Carole Epp: call for entry: $10,000 Awards for Emerging Ceramic and Glass Artists (Canada)
- Clay Club: Wood Kiln Construction Workshop with Bruce Dehnert
- Carole Epp: job posting: Head of Ceramics Department @ Cranbrook Academy of Art
- Carole Epp: call for entry: Teapots VIII
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Jobs | Salisbury University in Maryland Seeks Assistant Ceramics Professor
What else do potters blog about?
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: cfile.library | Artist and Writer Eva Masterman: The State of Ceramic Art Today
- Barnbarroch Pottery: Images from Potfest in the Park
- Frogpondsrock: A jumble of words put together mostly in a straight line.
- Marshall Colman: IDEAS FROM EVERYWHERE, CHINA AND AMSTERDAM
- Ceramic Artists Now: Cyber-connected ClayScope Exhibition Launches with Support from Twitter
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Video | ClayScope Rebrands Pottery with a Hip Feel for the Digital Age
- Tony Clennell: Yet another passion
- Scott K Roberts: A Potters Life
- Carole Epp: movie day: Clay Intersections with Bridget Bodenham + Panel Discussion info
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Zeno’s paradox for potters and other creatives
- Rachel Dorn: New Kiln!
- John Bauman: If Poets Were Potters entry #1
- John Bauman: If Poets Were Potters entry #2
- John Bauman: If Poets Were Potters entry #3
- NCECA Blog: Karen Karnes, Remembered
- Dennis Allen: Still Alive and Kicking
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: cfile.library | The Final Five Garth Clark Gallery Catalogs Now Available
- Tony Clennell: Porcelain Free Zone!
- meesh’s pottery: Recap of the Big Show
- Carole Epp: movie day: Capturing Chaos
- tenmoku: Taming the Dragon
- Gary Jackson: Pottery Olympics Throwdown
- Tony Clennell: It’s in the mail!
- Blog – objective clay: Vertiginous Journeys
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: ‘The man who left it all behind’: A parable
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Repost: Defensive potting
Gary Rith says
THANK you, as always 🙂
Lori Buff says
Once again, thanks for compiling this list.