August is history. Not a lot has happened here at Pottery Making Info since the last Clay Blog Review (Found here: Clay Blog Review: July 2015). But have no fear, there are a few things in the works that should roll out over the next couple months.
And the pottery blogs have been going full steam ahead. Check out all the great content below!
Also, if you were thinking about signing up for the Pottery Making Newsletter, you just missed the latest message. But don’t worry, you can see it here: August Newsletter. Or sign up to get the next one delivered straight to your inbox.
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- good elephant pottery – blog: The Art Festival Plan, Part 1
- Pottery by Lisa: Yes, You Can Make a Living as an Artist
- Alchemy of Clay: Those thrown handles
- Brackers Good Earth Clays » Dave’s Tech Tips: Reducing confusion about Reduction
- Fine Mess Pottery: Making Art, and Making Money
- Ariel Bowman Ceramics: Recent Additions to the Prehistoric Circus
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Bubbled Glaze : All The Rage These Days
- Marian Williams Pottery: How To Make A Fantastic Totem!
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Tony Clennell: Groovin’
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: Tip Toland Workshop — Sculpting a Clay Head
- Courtney Martin Pottery: I’m working on new bisque molds in the studio.
- Blue Starr Gallery: Canisters
- HaldeBlog: Works in Progress Wednesday (08/05/15)
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: It’s Tumbler Time !!!
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Stamped Tumblers
- Lucia Pottery: Pitchers on the Work Table, Part 2
- andrewwiddis: Throwing feet.
- Bridges Pottery Blog: Monoprint Workshop
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Saturday Stamping
- Lucia Pottery: Tall Pitchers on the Work Table, Part 3
- Kim Murton: August Worktable
- Courtney Martin Pottery: Work in progress Wednesday? Some new forms
- Whynot Pottery: Hops and Pots
- HaldeBlog: Works-in-progress Wednesday (08/12/15)
- Alchemy of Clay: The makings of a teapot
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: Cosmic Mugs: Art in Bayfront Park and Spiral Mug Throwing
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: More Mugs
- Pots and Paint: Packing and Firing a Glaze Kiln
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Handles on Mug Batch #1
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Stamping Mug Batch #2
- weddwould: Sailing homeward
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Stamped Platter Demo for Dave’s Class
- melanie sherman ?: INSPIRATION | Japanese Tattoos
- hodgson & hodgson: Raw State
- New Day Pottery: In the Studio
- meesh’s pottery: Juggling work and moving
- Courtney Martin Pottery: Handled trays/baskets. Something new for Sunday afterno
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Stamped Squares
- Blue Starr Gallery: Pounce or Push Plate Forms
- Blue Starr Gallery: Up, Up, and Away
- Little Brick House Clayworks: Personalised Wedding labels
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Chip & Dip Bowl
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Another Batch of Handles. Another Batch of Mugs.
- Kyle Carpenter Studio Pottery: Firing the #saltkiln this weekend. #PIAbnw
- Lucia Pottery: Having Fun Making a Pottery Video
- Little Brick House Clayworks: Personalised Wedding labels post firing
- Alchemy of Clay: Ongoing Teapots
- Blue Starr Gallery: Give me a Sign
- Pixels And Pencils and a lot of clay!: crazy……
- meesh’s pottery: Working Out. . . . side
- Whynot Pottery Blog: Don’t
- Brett Kern Art: New Sculptures!
- Hints and Tips for the Potter: 47. TO COMMISSION OR NOT TO……….
- meesh’s pottery: Getting out of my comfort zone…
- Brett Kern Art: Follow me on Instagram @brettkernart to get updates about my work almost daily!
- Blue Starr Gallery: Posey Pot or Bud Vase or Michelin Man
- Courtney Martin Pottery: Large bowl with handles. I’m enjoying making these
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Hobby Potter – Ceramic Artist Tammy Jo Schoppet Official Blog: FINAL RESULTS – Cross-Mixing Commercial Glazes Pt 4/4
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: Cone 6 at home
- Alchemy of Clay: The blue that turned out brown
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: making a plaster model and mold with Benjamin Matthews
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: A Super Simple Analogy to Help You Understand Glaze Structure – JOHN BRITT
- Jenni Ward: Making Tools
- Tony Clennell: Showing my ash!
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Alchemy of Clay: What’s been happening?
- Blue Starr Gallery: Maple Leaves & More from the Kiln
- Jenny Mendes: Taboo
- Whynot Pottery Blog: About those birdhouses
- Acorn Pottery: honey jar
- riverwife: windows of branches
- PATRICIA GRIFFIN CERAMICS – BLOG: Whales
- Gary’s third pottery blog: Total DOG for Teapot Tuesday….
- Alchemy of Clay: A couple of little lidded pots
- Kim Murton: Posted in my etsy shop
- The Rabbit Muse: Ten dollar SUPER SALE TOMORROW!
- Gary’s third pottery blog: at least these flowers don’t make me sneeze….
- WALLYWARE: It’s Tomato Time!!!!
- Gaea Ceramic Bead and Art Studio Blog: Fall In the Air
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: Bubble Fail and New Functional Work at Oak Hollow Gallery
- Gary’s third pottery blog: blue daisies….
- Kitty’s Granada Studio: Another Terrifying Kiln Eperience
- Blue Starr Gallery: Price Leaders
- PATRICIA GRIFFIN CERAMICS – BLOG: New collection heading to Ojai!
- andrewwiddis: Naked rim.
- Gary’s third pottery blog: can’t help it…
- Future Relics Pottery Blog: A Few From The Soda Kiln
- trista hudzik pottery: coffee mugs
- trista hudzik pottery: serving tray
- Blue Starr Gallery: Slow Cool Glaze Fire
- Blue Starr Gallery: Slow Cool Glaze Fire Results
- ang design blog: All the essentials are in…
- Gary’s third pottery blog: “take me to your leader” teapot
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: Slip Trailer Lines on Functional Work
- Gary’s third pottery blog: winter coats and hot coffee when it is 93 degrees…
- Kim Murton: Stockpiling for Art in the Pearl
- Gaea Ceramic Bead and Art Studio Blog: And a New Chapter Begins
- Down to the Earth Pottery: Summer Time (spent wisely in the studio and on adventures)
- Gary’s third pottery blog: might just be a winner….
- Blue Starr Gallery: Back to the Drawing Board
- Kim Murton: Plates and bowls cone 6
- Tony Clennell: Blue flamers
- paul the potter: Working flat out at the Pottery.
- inspirations — ?kv?pimai: Souvenirs d’été. Sadirac 2015 * Vasaros prisiminimai. Keramikos mugé Sadirake 2015
- Kim Murton: More for Art in the Pearl- Labor Day Weekend
- Tim Lake Ceramics: Little Cups for Tokyo
- Gary’s third pottery blog: victim of their own success…
- homefry sketchbook: ABANDONED
- Kim Murton: Another firing cone 5
- Gary’s third pottery blog: loving people live in a loving world…
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Meaningful Messages
- The Rabbit Muse: Important info!! New Low Prices! Shop update TOMORROW, September 1st!
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Connect The Pots
- Leslie Farin: Talk Me Out of Square Plates
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Of currents and creativity, tides and temptation
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Your art is not a lie, or “Yesterday’s post was my mouse’s fault, not mine”
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Motivation for the lackluster potter
- Tony Clennell: Being Mortal
- Diving into the clay: “We are two parts of the same thing”
- April Noble Studio – Notes from the Journey: Out with the old…
- Tony Clennell: Your Voice
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Potter from another planet
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 108: Prince Edward Island Craft History w/ Henry Purdy and the Village Pottery Gang
- The Potters Cast: The Power of a Website | Nancy Gallagher | Episode 131
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 109: Joan Bruneau and Jim Smith on their philosophy around pricing
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 110: Walter Ostrom on pottery’s conceptual potential and his iillustrious teaching career
- The Potters Cast: Getting Plugged Into Ceramic History | Guillermo Cuellar | Episode 132
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 111: Clint Neufeld on large-scale slip casting and developing discipline in an art practice
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 112: Aaron Nelson on the value of creative problem solving and embracing the cultural economy
- The Potters Cast: From Small to Big | Julie Wiggins | Episode 133
- The Potters Cast: Connection as a Draw | Jessica Kanaley | Episode 134
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 113: Ursula Hargens and Dustin Yaeger on the Minnesota New Institute for Ceramic Education
- The Potters Cast: A Heritage of Art | Alex Matisse | Episode 135
- The Potters Cast: Growing a New Business | Danielle Clare Pomorski | Episode 136
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 113: Live from Minneapolis: Minnesota Clay with Eileen Cohen, Julianne Shibata, & Samuel Johnson
- The Potters Cast: Developing A New Work | Michael Kline | Episode 137
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 114: Amy Santoferraro on keeping work fresh and seeking wonder in everyday life
- The Potters Cast: Developing a Brand | Shannon Garson | Episode 138
What do potters blog about other than pottery?
- Blog – objective clay: Building 3D Ceramic Printers at University of Hawaii Manoa with Bryan Czibesz
- Anna’s Ceramics by Anna Ryland: On the Clay Blog review
- Fine Mess Pottery: Cats and Clay, a (Very) Brief History
- the modern pottery studio: Handle With Care
- Blue Starr Gallery: Farmer’s Market Booth Photos
- Liz Crain Ceramics: The Guestbook Problem – Solved!
- The Cloud Pottery: Yearling
- John Bauman: Faith
- Fine Mess Pottery: The Art Fair Booth Project
- Clay Club: Free Glaze site
- Blue Starr Gallery: Flea Market Finds
- The Raging Bowl: Shifting Sands
- Tony Clennell: My English Teachers
- PATRICIA GRIFFIN CERAMICS – BLOG: Inspiration from Ireland – Darren Cassidy
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Let’s Talk Physical
- Tony Clennell: 12 Step Program
I realized a while ago nobody wants to be me. They say they want to be a potter and wake up on Monday morning with all the creature comforts of another life. I’m giving her 6 weeks of 2 days a week- 12 step program. . Golf, tennis, cards at lunch take your pick. You wanna make pots- welcome to Hell. The Devil awaits you.
- adriana christianson: Artisan
- NCECA Blog: Phil Cornelius Remembrance
- musing about mud: movie day: CLAY with David Peters
- NCECA Blog: Art and Accounting: Tools of the Trade
- Clay Club: August Clay Club recap: critiques at Linda McFarling’s studio
- NCECA Blog: The Fearless Nature of Being: The Legacy of Don Reitz
- jenallenceramics: NEW Ceramic Arts Daily instructional DVD’s released today!
- April Noble Studio – Notes from the Journey: What are you learning?
- Blog – Clay By Laura: My Red Thread – Unbreakable Connections
- NCECA Blog: Ailments of the Ceramists’s Hands
- melanie sherman ?: STUDIO | Cleaning the studio
- musing about mud: movie day: Woven Clay
- Fine Mess Pottery: Countdown: 3 Days
- potteryman: Talk and Tips
- Alchemy of Clay: 10 Reasons to Purchase Hand Crafted Pottery
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: New Clay Studio Tour (Mostly Moved In)
- making | jackie sedlock pottery: Big news from the pottery!
- Tony Clennell: Ban Ceramics Education
My definition of a good pot is copied from Hamada- A good pot is one that I like.
- Clay and Ginger: 10 Tiny Ways A Creative Person Can Find Purpose And Happiness In Life
- Tony Clennell: You’re OUT!
- NCECA Blog: NCECA Across the Table, Across the Land – Challenge
- Alchemy of Clay: Oh oh, kiln mishap last week
There you go! Be sure to subscribe to the blogs that you like and leave a comment for them once in a while. And thanks for reading. Also, thanks for sharing, leaving comments and sending encouraging messages. It is much appreciated.
Gary Rith says
THANK you, as always, for the add and the rest!
Lori Buff says
Thanks for including my blog in this list and thanks again for compiling the list.
Linda Starr says
Thanks so much for including my blog, I see I have some good reading on blogs this month to catch up on.