Greetings, and welcome to the first Clay Blog Review on the new site! For a quick rundown of what’s new click here. Hopefully you will have a more enjoyable experience. As always, the clay bloggers have been churning out great content. If you find something outstanding in the list below be sure to go to that blog and leave a comment to show your support.
The Can’t Miss
Must read blog posts for potters and ceramic artists.
- Pottery Making Blog: Clay Blog Review: July 2014 (in case you missed it!)
- Liz Crain Ceramics: Keeping Your Drain Unclogged With a Homemade Clay Glop Trap
- DirtKicker PoTTerY: Removing wax resist from bisque
- Blog – objective clay: How Low Can You Go!
Process and Techniques
How the pots are made or images of pots in progress.
- Bruce DEHNERT: Studio Daze
- Tony Clennell: I tried to change
- Kim Murton: Greenware- new direction
- groszceramika: Maselniczka?
- Tony Clennell: Gnar-gnar revisited
- CleanMud: Getting Closer to the Kiln
- Barnbarroch Pottery: Meccano to the rescue
- good elephant pottery – blog: For the next wood-firing
- Pottery by Lisa: The Joy of Mothering AND Working
- Brampton Pottery: new bowls
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: Les Blakebrough – New Work
- Blue Starr Gallery: Variations with Ferns
- lisa w.b. walker: Custom Work ~ plates
- Liberty Stoneware: Earthenware Experiment- What Went in the Kiln
- weddwould: Pot Crimes
- Blue Starr Gallery: Unloaded & Loaded by Nine
- Bruce DEHNERT: Sculpture part 2
- Artworks of Johnson Tsang: “I’ve Got a New Job!”
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: A Bit of Work
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: A Spotlight On Mug Handles
- weddwould: Pot Crimes
- Dawn Whitehand: Visual Artist: New YouTube Video: Pottery Techniques – Throwing on Bats
- ang design blog: journal update…
- Claying Thoughts: Personalized Terracotta Nameplates
- Sawdust & Dirt: Back To School
- part time pottery: Pictures finally
- Gary’s third pottery blog: wheels keep on turning….
- Karatsupots Blog: Being Productive
- Frogpondsrock…: No time for distractions. Oh look, shiny…
- Tony Clennell: I’ll be buggered if I know!
Tips and Technical
Improve efficiency or technical knowledge.
- The PottersFriend’s blogspot: Pottery Glaze Safety
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: Dipping Lustre by Marion Baldwin (Porcelain Painting)
- Bridges Pottery Blog: Wax on Wax Off
- Carol Clarkson Pottery Blog: Keeping clay holes from glazing over
- musing about mud: technical tuesday: Pottery Video: Measuring Prints for Specific Forms | FORREST MIDDELTON
- Alchemy of Clay: Clay club fun at John Britt’s Studio
- Clay Club: Lawrence A. Whisenant – Egyptian Faience Senior Thesis Presentation
- Fine Mess Pottery: Karen’s Clear
Finished pots to dazzle the eyes.
- Jenny Mendes: Stefana Inspiration & Imagination
- Whistle Creek: Finished Work
- Phil Rogers Pottery, Rhayader, Wales: PR196
- Blue Hen Pottery: Life is good!
- Gary’s third pottery blog: balanced
- Tony Clennell: Nice cool!
- Alchemy of Clay: What else hangs on a wall?
- homefry sketchbook: So much work….
- The Rabbit Muse: Shop update TOMORROW Friday, August 8th!
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: Cookie Mugs and Other Mugs
- Kim Murton: more for Art in the Pearl
- New Day Pottery: New Glaze Load and Art of the Cup Invitational
- A Love Affair With Clay: Latest Firing Results! Gas Reduction Cone 10
- weddwould: Coming to a table near you
- Kim Murton: This mornings kiln
- Fine Mess Pottery: Raku and Results
- Centered – Focus on Clay and Creativity: Kicking It Up a Notch!
- Sue Pariseau Pottery: June Woodfiring – Unloading
- This Week At St. Earth: cycling
- Claying Thoughts: Hand Textured Terracotta Stamps and Coasters
- Gary’s third pottery blog: let’s make a DEAL!
- Shambhala Pottery: The Good the bad and the ugly
- Kim Murton: 3 animals
- Blue Hen Pottery: Experimenting
- homefry sketchbook: Pre-Autumn Update
- WALLYWARE: Weed, Fracking, UFOs and Doganetics!
- The Rabbit Muse: Shop update TOMORROW Friday, 22nd!
- Jose Maria Mariscal – Ceramicas Mariscal: Frita Fusion 413
- Gary’s third pottery blog: there’s more than one way a pig can fly…
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Collaboration Close-Ups
- Blue Starr Gallery: Mishima Tiles
- Phil Rogers Pottery, Rhayader, Wales: PR208 Press moulded Bottle.
- Phil Rogers Pottery, Rhayader, Wales: 210 A Yunomi.
- Blue Starr Gallery: Sea Baskets
- good elephant pottery – blog: Captain Casserole in Action
- Kim Murton: getting close to Art in the Pearl – latest firing
- Steven Colby: potter: tuesday morning 8am
- Blue Starr Gallery: Not All Kilns or Firings Are Alike
- DeBuse-On-The-Loose: Fresh out
- A Love Affair With Clay: Copper Red Glazes- Firing Results
- Fine Mess Pottery: Unloading Day Plus the Secret to Success
- Alchemy of Clay: From the past…labyrinths
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: The Big Reveal : My Collaboration With Cory McCrory
- part time pottery: Market today..
Pondering: life, art, creativity, clay.
- musing about mud: movie day: Is there a difference between art and craft? – Laura Morelli
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: “Some days you are the puppet, and some days you are the hand”
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Art and Exhibition
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Repost: The aerobic exaggeration of ‘Carpe Diem’
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Asking ‘better’ questions about Art
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Letter to a young potter
Potters talking to other potters or creative types. It’s a regular talk show around here this month!
- The Potters Cast: Julia Paul | Julia Paul Pottery | Episode 30
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler: Carter Pottery: Sam Clarkson on the Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast
- The Potters Cast: John Neely | Utah State University | Episode 31
- Studio Break: Judi Tavill
- a potter’s archive: Don Pilcher Interview – Jeremy Sims Art
- The Potters Cast: Susan Simonini | Susan Simonini Ceramics | Episode 32
- Brian R. Jones Ceramics: ep.#56 Christa Assad
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler: Carter Pottery: Linda Fahey on the Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast
- The Potters Cast: Joe Ottaway | Oxide Clay Art | Episode 33
- CleanMud: Fire In The Valley
- The Potters Cast: Ann Van Hoey | Ann Van Hoey Ceramics | Episode 34
- The Potters Cast: Leah Reena Goren | Leah Goren Ceramics | Episode 35
- jenallenceramics: Amelia Stamps: Potter of the Month
- The Potters Cast: Louise Gelderblom | Art Worker | Episode 36
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler: Carter Pottery: Joel Magen on the Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast
- The Potters Cast: Gillian McMillan | Gillian McMillan Pottery | Episode 37
Anything else of interest to potters and ceramic artists.
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: “A Career in Clay” by Tiffany Clements, Feature Story for the College of St. Benedict/St. John’s University
- Diving into the clay: art21: “Clay is extremely elemental. … The lack of beauty in…
- musing about mud: download it now: American iPottery by Kevin A. Hluch
- NCECA Blog: “With clay in my veins”
- ANN TUBBS POTTERY STUDIO: the new iBook about pottery is ready!
- Shambhala Pottery: Started a soda and salt firing group on Facebook
- Fine Mess Pottery: New Book!
- Ellison Bay Pottery Studios – Pottery and Other Related Thoughts: ‘Living the Potter’s Life” by Kathleen Maci
- Shambhala Pottery: Facebook soda group address correction and firing update
- Gary Jackson: Fire When Ready Pottery: Yes, Kilns Get Hot.
- Kristen Kieffer: Glaze & American iPottery
- Future Relics Pottery Blog: Post your Blog Here
- Tony Clennell: Your work is a gift!
- musing about mud: movie day: Pottery maker
- Hints and Tips for the Potter: 41. SELL THE SIZZLE NOT THE SAUSAGE.
- Diving into the clay: mochilero: Repost from @alexmatisse . True and spot on…
- A Love Affair With Clay: Brian Keyte Workshop
- Stardust Pottery Blog: Video Lessons Vs. Physical Instruction
- Rachel Dorn Ceramic Sculpture: New Pottery Textbook
- Clay Club: From the Earth to Your Mouth Eating Clay Is Touted by Celebrities
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: American Craft Council, “A Potter’s Journey: Conquering Art Major Anxiety”
And that’s it! Thanks for dropping by. Feedback is always welcome whether it’s something I should have added to this list, thoughts about the new design or just to introduce yourself. Thanks for reading!