August has come and gone and left us with some great pottery blogging to read and re-read. Here are my favorites from the past month. Let me know if you have a favorite post or blog that was missed!
The Can’t Miss
- Marian Williams shares instructions for Pit Firing and Creates Pottery Tools From Recycled Items.
- Rachel Dorn has a great post about her Sprigs and Stamps.
- Objective Clay has some information about Terra Sigillata from Kip O’Krongly.
- Jeffrey R. Guin explains how he made a Mishima Decorated Platter.
- The Clay Blog Review for July got a lot of love but check it out if you missed it. Thanks for sharing!
Process and Technique
- Grass posts a huge collection of images of potters at work.
- GretaMichelle Joachim shows some Possibilities.
- Gary Jackson takes on Another Night of Stamping, makes A Stamped Plate and Platter, tackles Salt & Pepper Shakers, Stamps Bowls, and Textures Creamers.
- Michael Mahan tries a New Shape from Ireland.
- Smart Cat has a basket In Progress.
- Kim Murton shows a few images of the Process.
- Rachel Dorn uses Flossers, Bulbs and Safety Wiring and gives us a Progress Report.
- Carole Epp posts a pair of videos of Blues, Plates Prints and Paintings with Paul Scott.
- Judy Abdelaziz is working on a Lidded jar.
- Kelly Kessler shares the secret to Jeff Campana‘s work.
- Pottery Jo Retreives pots from the sea.
- Wild Iris Clay works on Exciting New Pottery.
- Whynot Pottery shows the latest Wet work and starts to plan the next firing.
- Brandon Schwartz shares his experience at the Goshen Pottery Workshop.
- Tony Clennell makes Cookie Jars? and Jugs Again!
- Amy Huacani has New pots.
- Hannah McAndrew has pots Sitting in the Sunshine and posts some Slip and Photographs.
- Angela Walford recaps the open studio weekend.
- Doug Fitch makes another video about His day.
- Woodfirer is Working towards an anagama firing.
Tips and Technical
- Meagan Chaney posts a Semi Matte Glaze recipe.
- Tony Clennell learns about bi-refringence.
- Shannon Q Merritt is the DJ.
- Carole Epp discovers Self-leveling kiln wash thanks to Jeff Campana, seeks information about Graffito Underglaze Transfer Paper and discovers the Decal Division @ Forage Studios.
- BPracticalPottery likes to Talk About Bricks Baby.
- Good Elephant Pottery shares The Trick to Carving.
- Mug Revolution Explores Rutile and Iron combinations.
- Carol Clarkson explains Smoothing Rough Glazed Pottery.
- Gary Jackson’s slip is Bluer Than Blue.
- Matt Fiske shows us What he’s been up to.
- Raven Hill Pottery is Glazing…with Potters Choice Glazes.
- Kim Murton has a Small batch just out and shows results from Yesterday’s Firing.
- Round Rabbit has Shop update 1 and Shop update 2.
- Brandon Schwartz posts Photos from the Last Kiln Load and is finally Getting Somewhere with even More Pottery.
- Whynot Pottery shows pots in The kiln and gets back to work Again.
- Margaret Brampton shares some recent work.
- Patricia Bridges Loves those Blues.
- Gary Jackson shows results of Tracey’s Letters.
- Steven Colby posts some work from the august kiln.
- Jeanette Manchester Harris shares some interesting Medium and Large Sized Bowls.
- Wallyware has NEW STUFF.
- Paul Jessop gets some New Pots in the showroom.
- Barb Rogers finished some Carved bowls and Leaf imprinted mugs.
- Petr Novak shares some Gems.
- Patricia Griffen has New large platters and a little He said; She said.
- Two Potters have pots left after the fair(s).
- Kathy Catlin shares some work from the August Firing.
- Kyle Houser has new work even though it’s Been A While.
- Molly Hatch has New Work for the London Design Festival.
- Jeffrey R. Guin finishes some Kiln Gods.
- Willow Avenue Pottery has pendants On Etsy today.
- Clementina Ceramics shows ‘LITTERATI’ at the CLAY MUSEUM.
- Jemerick Art Pottery has work ready for Long Park’s Art & Craft Festival.
- Scott Cooper shares his broken windows theory in story form.
- Objective Clay contributor, Jennifer Allen explains the process of Discovering a Favorite.
- Is Carter Gillies on vacation?
- Brian R. Jones interviews Daniel Duford and Sanam Emami.
- Jen Allen Ceramics has Meredith Host as the potter of the month.
- Potter Jo is on the BBC Three Counties Radio interview.
- Ben Carter talks with Julie Kesti, Griffin, McConnell, and Johnson, Courtney Murphy and Eva Champagne.
- The NCECA Blog has Namita Gupta Wiggers’ distinguished lecture: Navigating Whiteout Conditions.
- Tony Clennell realizes that there is more money in the living room than the kitchen.
- John Britt found a video for any potter looking to make a WordPress Website.
- Carole Epp has movie days with Garth Clark and Mark Del Vecchio and Porcelainia, shares a comic: if other professions were paid like artists and shares the pedestal site.
- Dennis Allen shares some tips for Packing It In.
- Lori Watts answers the question What Do You Do When Inspiration Flees? by purchasing a Kristen Kieffer DVD.
- Marian Williams wants to know: Are You Too Obsessed With Pottery? and shares photos On the OSCAS Mud Trail.
- Meridiana Ceramics is working on a new Soda Kiln.
- Dee Day shares some Sad News about David McWilliams.
- Ben Carter shares some info about The great Beehive kilns of yesteryear.
- Ariel Bowman gives a lesson about The Bronze Process. (Not exactly “pottery” but it’s pretty cool!)
- BPracticalPottery reminds us that The Field Guide is worth reading, loves searching pinterest and flickr for Historical Pottery and starts to map out Canadian Potters.
- Carol Clarkson shares an article about COMMUNITY SUPPORTED ART and an AIR COMPRESSOR FOR SPRAYING GLAZES, has a Custom Chop Mark for Clay, thinks about Branding Your Business and considers QR Codes.
- Scott Cooper has something for you if you like to read about other people’s weird dreams.
- Julie Crosby has some images of a Kiln Build.
- Whynot Pottery asks some interesting questions and realizes that Life is flitting.
- Kristen Kieffer has a teapot in 500 Teapots Volume 2.
- Lucy Fagella also has a teapot in 500 Teapots, Volume 2.
- Rachel Dorn shares some Eye Candy from Yellowstone and some Books about Being True to Oneself as an Artist.
- Matt Fiske has some images of the New Studio.
- DirtKicker Pottery starts a Reference Book.
- Joel Cherrico has a Recap of some recent events.
- Kelly Kessler shares a comic inspired by Bill Watterson, applicable to potters.
Aaaand… that’s it. Thanks for reading!
Carter Gillies says
Thanks for mentioning me, even though I WAS on vacation this past month! Working on a new post as we speak, though.
And thanks as always for organizing links to all these wonderful blog posts! Lots of cool stuff happening out there, and this is a great resource for keeping us informed.
Keep up the good work!
Pottery Making Info says
Good to hear from you. I hope your vacation was fantastic. Looking forward to your future posts!