Another Clay Blog Review! Below you’ll find the best pottery blogging from the past month. Enjoy!
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Pottery Making Blog: Clay Blog Review: March 2017
- zephyrvalleypottery: Smoothing the rough spots
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Better pottery through accuracy and precision
- Big Ceramic Store: Tips For Judging Base Thickness On Thrown Pots
- Gary Jackson: Surface Decoration With Colored Slips
- Big Ceramic Store: Slab And Coil Method Large Platters On The Potters Wheel
- dicklehman: COLLECTED
- Liz Crain Ceramics: Spouting Off
This month’s Clay Blog Review is brought to you by the freshest shirt design in the shop:
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Gary Jackson: Bisque : Layer By Layer
- Whynot Pottery: Last week
- Jenny Mendes: heading towards the wood kiln!
- Jenni Ward: Work in Progress: Umbels Update
- Whynot Pottery: Spring is in the air
- Gary Jackson: A Dirty Dozen
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Ben Jackel’s Enormous Ceramic Mortars, Cannons and 100-Ton Gun
- Gary Jackson: Bowled Over
- Gary Jackson: Even Less “Basic” Bowls
- Jose Maria Mariscal: CRYSTALLINE GLAZES- VIDEO OF THE WORKSHOPS
- Gary Jackson: Spin & Trim
- Tony Clennell: Bullied, beaten and buggered
- Big Ceramic Store: Kids Hand Project For Mother’s Day
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Marshall Colman: ALCHEMY IN THE CERAMICS STUDIO
- Big Ceramic Store: Make Your Own Ceramic Toothbrush Holder
- Lori Watts: Pop Quiz!
- Erin Carpenter Pottery: Turns out that supermarket produce bags are perfect for wrapping...
- Carol Clarkson: Terra Sigllatta on Earthenware Clay
- Carol Clarkson: Michael Sherrill Trimming Tool
- John Britt Pottery: Francis Frosting cone 05
- Ariel Bowman Ceramics: Material Research
- Big Ceramic Store: Finishing Touches For Your Pots
- Linda Starr: Stone Mountain Clay
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Pots and pieces: NCECA In Review: Portland 2017. National Student Juried Exhibition, OCAC.
- andy priestman: Photo
- Barb Rogers: Bee looking for nectar
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Objets d’art, pièces uniques, fait à la main
- Linda Starr: Spring Colors and Positive Thinking
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Spotted | Size Matters, Ceramic Curio, Serpentine Vessels and more!
- Barb Rogers: Some cheerful cups
- Gary Jackson: Empty Bowls : “First Slice” Fundraiser
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Bol grès + Raku
- John Bauman: Back In The Saddle Again
- Jan Wallace Pottery: Back to Blogging – Bit of an update
- Lori Buff: Fish Platter
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Benoit Pouplard, artiste céramiste
- Il Vasaio A5f11: Special plant pot 🙂
- Barb Rogers: Cat and mouse teapot
- Courtney Martin: Love this collab mug with @jasonbburnett #courtneymarti
- andy priestman: Photo
- Barb Rogers: Not your grandmother’s candy dish
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Boite Raku
- Kim Murton: Glaze fire
- Jose Maria Mariscal: TEXTURAS
- Tony Clennell: The Blood of Christ
- Caroline in clay: Pottering along
- Pots and pieces: NCECA In Review: Portland 2017. Concurrent Wood Firing Exhibitions: Ashes & Flux and Great Waves Over the Pacific.
- Woodseats Pottery » Feed: New Handmade Mugs on Etsy. Copper Green and Light Blue Glazes look Great!
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Spotted | Dumpster Diving and Candelabras at the Dallas Art Fair, Miart + SP-Arte
- andy priestman: Photo
- Whynot Pottery: Yes, they are Blue!
- Kim Undseth Pottery – RSS: Back on Etsy
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: Testing times…
- Barb Rogers: More Bugs and Flowers !
- Céramique d’art – RSS: Objet d’art céramique de Jean Couturier
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Lei Xue Ceramic Juxtaposition Featuring Looney Tunes
- Acorn Pottery: the secret life of potters
- Barb Rogers: Tea Bowls
- Lori Buff: Dragons At Inman Park Festival
- ANN TUBBS POTTERY STUDIO: What Comes Out of a Glaze Kiln?
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Glaze results
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- Mea Rhee: Indulgence
- this artist’s life: grief and creativity
- Tony Clennell: Living Your Life Generously
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: A Good Look at Etsy | Karrita Renzelman | Episode 306
- The Potters Cast: From Professor to Proprietor | Brian Giniewski | Episode 307
- The Potters Cast: Chillin’ with Justin | Justin Reese | Episode 309
- The Potters Cast: Lunch With Sculptors | Francoise LeClerc & Michelle Gregor | Episode 310
- The Potters Cast: The Jonescast is Casting Again | Brian R Jones | Episode 311
- Courtney Martin: @brianrjones interviewed me for his podcast last week.
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 178: Graham Marks on his transition from ceramics to acupuncture
- The Potters Cast: Making a Glassy Foot | Paul Ide | Episode 312
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 179: Live from NCECA- Omnus Terra panel with Garson, Fahey, Wedd and Blume
- The Potters Cast: A Walk Through the Event | OPA | Episode 313
What’s out there for potters?
- Carol Clarkson: Artist Residencies with Deadlines
- Clay Club: Northern Clay Center artist opportunities
- Carol Clarkson: “Serve It Up 2017” Call for Entries
What else do potters blog about?
- Mea Rhee: Fast-Motion Booth Setup
- WALLYWARE: Musk-mania 2.0
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Out With The Old
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Library | Read C-Folio 1 for FREE: Ramesh Mario Nithiyendran
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: NewsFile | A Ceramic Playground, a Remarkable Exhibition, Revealing Research and more
- Liz Crain Ceramics: Thinking Inside the Box
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Art | Rijksstudio Award – Delft Eyes, Madam Butter Dish, a Soupy Battle Scene and more
- Dan Finnegan: Firing Ruminations
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Art | Anton Alverez’s ‘The Extruder’ and its Structured Improvisation
- Pots and Paint: Setting Up the New Studio
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Books | Live Form: Women, Ceramics and Community by Jenni Sorkin
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Video | Easing into the Weekend with Relaxing Studio/Process Videos
- Tony Clennell: The Last Supper
- Carol Clarkson: Step Inside My Studio
- Rachel Dorn: Janice
- Jenny Mendes:
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: NewsFile | A Century of Piss, Artist Housing, NEA Rally and more!
- The Potters Cast: Remembering | Robin Hopper | Episode 308
- Tony Clennell: Out of the closet
- NCECA Blog: Robin Hopper Remembered
- Tony Clennell: Support your local artist’s!
- inspirations: Journées de Métiers d’Art 2017 à l’ancienne Poterie * Meno amat? dienos 2017 senojoje Keramikos gamykloje
- NCECA Blog: John Glick Remembered (1938-2017)
- Stardust Pottery Blog: Cindy’s Hammer Of Ceramic Doom
- shin shin: Good plan?
- Big Ceramic Store: The Potter’s Wheel – Which One Is Right For You
- Kristen Kieffer: Remembering A Mentor: John Glick
- Tony Clennell: Finding a tear
- Pots and pieces: Kiln Opening at Mark Hewitt’s Pottery, Firing Elle, Spring 2017
- Marshall Colman: SHAPING CERAMICS: FROM LUCIE RIE TO EDMUND DE WAAL
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Video | Ceramics Abroad, from Mali to Japan to a Viking Village
- Whynot Pottery: A little bit of everything
- Tony Clennell: The Man is in the House
- Blog – Kara Leigh Ford Ceramics: Two Years earning a living as a Full Time Potter…
Thanks for reading! Sign up for the Pottery Making Newsletter to get more great tips, links, and information.
Lori Buff says
Thanks for including my blog on this list and thanks for all your hard work creating the list.