Welcome to Clay Blog Review #6 of 2016. Half way through the year already! We have some amazing blog posts from the past month including a variety of great pottery videos, some helpful tips and a whole lot of great pottery.
The Can’t Miss
What were the “must read” pottery blog posts during the past month?
- Lori Watts: Stencils Part Deux: Making My Own
- Art By Fuzzy – News: Chris Gustin Workshop at Notre Dame
- Big Ceramic Store: Soap Bubbles And Clay – Who Would’ve Thought
- Blog – objective clay: Turn Your Waste into Want
- Marian Williams: My Homemade Fibre Raku Kiln
- Lori Watts: More is More: A Step-by-Step
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Marketplace | See the Future of Selling Ceramics on Mobile. 3 Trends You Need to Know
- Ceramic Artists Now: Learn How to Get Rich Selling Mugs with Katie Marks
Process and Technique
What do pots look like during the process and how are they made?
- Big Ceramic Store: Sgraffito in Terra Sigillata With BCS Customer Lisa Harnish – Conclusion
- Dawn Whitehand: Busy Day in the Studio
- Lori Watts: Stencil Me In
- Gary Jackson: The Monthly Holiday Ornament Challenge : May
- Brampton Pottery: new pottery operational
- Carole Epp: technical tuesday: Throwing a Bowl in a Bisque Mold | LISA ORR
- Tony Clennell: The Invisible Man
- Carole Epp: movie day: Figurative ceramist – Dan Les
- Gary Jackson: Big Bowls : Ready To Stamp
- Tony Clennell: My Worst Enemy
- Tony Clennell: Dan Goes Under the Knife
- Carole Epp: technical tuesday: Hydro-abraision Pottery Demo with Mike Stumbras
- Rae Dunn … clay » clay.: going big.
- Barb Rogers: Black-Eyed Susans
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: June visitors
- Rachel Dorn: Rotary Commission
- Barb Rogers: More pottery, she said
- Jose Maria Mariscal: VIDEO TORNEANDO PORCELANA / THROWING PORCELAIN
- Gary Rith: carving a pot, the before and after …
- Linda Starr: Leaf Pendants
- Rachel Dorn: Glazing for the Rotary Commission
- John Britt Pottery: How to Glaze a Vase
- Gary Jackson: More. More. More.
- Anna’s Ceramics: Teapots underway – a sneak peek
- Gary Jackson: Stamping Mug : Making Good Impressions
- Tony Clennell: Itinerant as a Tinker
Tips and Technical
How can I become a more efficient or knowledgeable potter?
- Rachel Dorn: Leaching Test for New Studio Glazes
- Carol Clarkson: Silkscreen Pottery
- Jenni Ward: Clay in the Classroom: Keeping it Clean
- Liz Crain Ceramics: Soup Can Tool Caddy
- Big Ceramic Store: Shaving Cream And Underglaze To Decorate Clay
- Liz Crain Ceramics: Smart Ceramic Troubleshooting
Order Troubleshooting for Potters
- Liz Crain Ceramics: “Hey, This Handle’s Stuck!” or A Pictorial Diary of a Ceramic Repair
- Big Ceramic Store: Clay Shreds For Dimension Depth and Design
- Big Ceramic Store: Stoneware Clay Colors and Their Use
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Video | Matt Fiske Talks about the Science Behind His Glazes
- Gary Jackson: The Giffin Grip
Where can I see inspiring pottery?
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Visitors’ Work
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Design | Adam Paulek: Functional Ceramics with an Evolving Narrative
- WALLYWARE: There’s a new kid in town.
- Catherine White: results
- Catherine White: #1 summer solstice 2016
- Gary Rith: mac and cheese or little zones of awesomeness
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Featured Potter | Justine Allison: The Simple Beauty of Clay
- Patricia Griffin Ceramics: Thank you to all!
- andy priestman: Dunragit slip with iron banding and celadon glaze
- Jenny Mendes: Inside you Inside me
- Gary Rith: because making the same dang thing over and over is BORING
- Whynot Pottery: summer fun
- andy priestman: Porcelain jar, copper slip, celadontwice fired.
- meesh’s pottery: East Meets West Exhibition
- Kim Murton: This morning-boats,flatheads and 4 legs
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Yolande Clark
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: June Pop-Up Shop | Branan Mercer’s Sensual Tea Bowls
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: June kiln firing fun….
- (title unknown): A few fun things
- Ron Philbeck Pottery: Soda Kiln Unloaded. Video.
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: Back in the USA….
- Gary Rith: some tasty odds and ends…
- Gaea Ceramic Bead and Art Studio Blog: La Vie En Rose… New Sets and Giveaways Today
- Whynot Pottery: Random Pots from the kiln
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Kirk Mangus: “A pot, a joke, a rhythm, a theory” at James Cohan, New York
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Featured Potter | Ute Kathrin Beck: Marine Life and Artifacts of Esoteric Power
- HaldeBlog: Friday Five: Five new and restocked items at HaldeCraft that the yarn lovers will go crazy over
- Kyle Carpenter: I think this turned out well. ? #saltfired #ropeimpressed #ncpottery #ncclay #828isgreat #asheville #birdjar #riverartsdistrict
- Gary Rith: dinosaur bank
- The Smart Cat: Tyrion Tortise
- Nell Hazinski Ceramics: Nerikomi
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Sébastien Lopes et Christine Zablocki
- Kristen Kieffer: Shop the First Day of Summer!
- Gary Rith: dragons AGAIN…
- Ron Philbeck Pottery: I Have Fewer Pots Now
- Gary Rith: ocean blue….
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: 7.4 Billion Little Steps
- The Smart Cat: Teapot
- WALLYWARE: Creative Heaven and Potluck Hell
- Courtney Martin: From the CMP Instagram
- Rae Dunn … clay » clay.: i n d i g o .
- flyeschool.com: June 14th 2016
- Whynot Pottery: don’t you find it hard
- meesh’s pottery: Pigs are Multiplying
- Gary Rith: the roses….
- Patricia Griffin Ceramics: Look what happens when I turn my back on these pots!
- Ceramic Artists Now: See How Joanna Powell Strips Pots to Their Essence, Then Rebuilds
- Carole Epp: emerging artist: Grace Han
- Gary Rith: T-rex and bowling pins…..
- At the water’s edge! Beachfront Pottery blog: Inspiration for my pottery: ocean critters on a Hawaii night dive
- Gary Jackson: A Kelly Green Platter
- Catherine White: #19 summer solstice 2016
- Gary Rith: polka dots and larceny…
- Blog – Clay By Laura: Hold The Pickles, Hold The Lettuce . . .
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Alev Ebuzziya
- Whynot Pottery: those tea pots and tiles
- weddwould: La,lala lee
- Jose Maria Mariscal: BLACK AND GOLD- REDUCTION FIRING
- Shaun Hall’s Raku Ceramics Blogspot: Work on show – Charlie Blim Gallery, Nevada, USA
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Featured Potter | Jongjin Park’s Papery, Colorful Vessels Seek to Deceive
- Ceramic Artists Now: Ceramic Design Meets Old World Turkey with Didem Mert
- Dirty Girl Clayworks: and how the photos turned out…
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Design | Ceramics of Note Collected from Design Miami
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Latest creations
- Barb Rogers: Black Eyed Susan smiles
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Exhibition | Anselm Reyle: Keramik at CFA Berlin
- Gary Rith: some pretty odds and ends…
- CleanMud: Kiln gods
- Acorn Pottery: vessels
- Gary Rith: day of the pigs…
- Carole Epp: monday morning eye candy: Jessica Brandl
- Whynot Pottery: We make Birdhouse, and, yet
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Studio Pottery | Claudia Biehne’s Fresh, Experimental Porcelain
- Barb Rogers: Finally one that is right
- Kyle Carpenter: Floor vase. #saltfired #studiopottery #ncclay #ncpottery #828isgreat #asheville #ceramics #pottery
- Tim Lake Ceramics: New pots from this weeks firing.
- Gillian McMillan — Rara Avis: Tight Squeeze
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Art | Utah Sculptor Russell Wrankle in His Own Words
- Gary Rith: beauty and the beast…
- Ceramic Artists Now: Find Out How Mike Gesiakowski Explores Degrading Memories Through Ceramics
- Rachel Dorn: Glazed Work for Rotary Commission (Completed)
What can I ponder while making pottery and ceramic art?
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Commentary | Garth Clark on NCECA: Is It Time for a Conference of the New?
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Intending the best
- CARTER GILLIES POTTERY: Is there such a thing as too much art?
- Tony Clennell: Tell Heaven
- this artist’s life: nuance and variation
Interviews and Podcasts
What do potters have to say?
- The Potters Cast: Mastering The Potters Wheel | Ben Carter | Episode 219
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Interview | Ron Nagle on Donald Trump: “You Can’t Trust a Guy With that Kind of Haircut”
- NCECA Blog: Fueling Innovation
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 145: Jayson Lawfer on determining value in the secondary market
- The Potters Cast: Geekin’ Out On Instagram | Tom Kemp | Episode 220
- The Potters Cast: The Potter & The Actor | Peter Sheldon & Ellen Woglom | Episode 221
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 146: Kansas City Urban Potters on the goals of their group
- The Potters Cast: Scientist to Ceramicist | Anna Mulders | Episode 222
- The Potters Cast: The Value of the Apprenticeship | Clary Illian | Episode 223
- The Potters Cast: Bringing A Message to Your Work | Jessica Putnam-Phillips | Episode 224
- The Potters Cast: Periscope for Potters | Neil Celani | Episode 225
- Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast: 147: Wood fire aesthetics with Christianson, Helland-Hansen, McKeachie-Johnston, and Oesteritter
- The Potters Cast: Living the Experiment | Rachel Donner | Episode 226
- The Potters Cast: Doing Things They Say You Can’t Do | Emily Free Wilson | Episode 227
What’s out there for potters?
- Carole Epp: call for entry: University of North Florida International Ceramics Exhibition
- John Britt Pottery: Ceramics Job at Northen Kentucky
- Carole Epp: Grayling Ceramics is looking for a studio assistant.
- Carol Clarkson: Education and Communication Coordinator/ Red Lodge, Montana
- Carole Epp: call for entry: AMOCA Ceramic Annual – Biomorphic
- Carole Epp: call for entry: The Clay Cup: Vessel, Icon, Canvas
- Carole Epp: call for artists: Can Craft? Craft Can! Biennial Residencies Open
What else do potters blog about?
- Sandy Miller: PIB……Really!
- Carole Epp: movie day: Ron Nagle on the ceramic “revolution” via San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- paul the potter: Busman’s Holiday to visit Clive Bowen.
- NCECA Blog: Fueling the Imagination
- Bruce Gholson and Samantha Henneke: Meet the Cousins….. Seagrove, North Carolina on June 4-5, 2016
- this artist’s life: playing catch up
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Oddity | The Not-Quite-Ancient Art of Repairing Ceramics with Embroidery
- Liz Crain Ceramics: I Don’t Throw Pots…But I Review This Book
- Tony Clennell: Lost in Translation
- Ron Philbeck Pottery: Prepping for Firing. Practicing Yoga.
- NCECA Blog: Fab Friday – Demonstrations from the 2016 Fab Lab with Jo Kamm & Keith Simpson
- FetishGhost: The Money Hole
- FetishGhost: Refitting the Money Hole
- Tony Clennell: Korean Canadian Exchange
- Tony Clennell: Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch
- Blog – Clay By Laura: One Good Turn…
- meesh’s pottery: East Meets West Reception Part 2
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Design | Tech and Nature Go Hand-in-Hand with Rosenthal’s PorceLAN
- Liz Crain Ceramics: Molly Hatch’s Surface Design Book: YUM!
Order New Ceramic Surface Design!
- April Noble Studio: Within the Lines
- Nell Hazinski Ceramics: Hegemonic Eye
- meesh’s pottery: Pottery on The Grounds – East Meets West
- Marshall Colman: CERAMICS OF VIETRI AND A GLAZE RECIPE FROM THE 1920s
- Clay Club: Recap: June Clay Club at Reems Creek Pottery
- Ceramic Artists Now: Create Experiences and Collect Stories with Ceramic Design by Nick Moen
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Oddity | Aganetha Dyck Coaxes Bees to Mend Broken Ceramics
- Dawn Whitehand: Sunday Studio Visit – bits and pieces
- Carole Epp: movie day: Don Norman: 3 ways good design makes you happy
- Jenni Ward: Book 3 of Create with Clay Projects for Kids Available!
- Liz Crain Ceramics: The Cat Came Back, A Farcical Timeline
- Ceramic Artists Now: CAN is Proud to Partner with ‘Pots Getting Action’
- NCECA Blog: Fab Friday – 2016 Fab Lab Friday Session 4
- Joel Cherrico Pottery: Enjoy Reduced Shipping Costs: Pottery Orders Just Got Cheaper
- The Cloud Pottery: Show up 2
- Dan Finnegan: Looking Forward
- Linda Starr: The Vase in Question
- Carol Clarkson: Rubber Plugs for Salt and Pepper Shakers
- Marian Williams: U 2 Can Raku!
- Tony Clennell: Woodstoke!
- Jenni Ward: Clay in the Classroom: Step by Step Projects
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: Technology | Admatec’s Admaflex 130, an Industrial Strength Ceramic Printer
- CFile – Contemporary Ceramic Art + Design: History File | 5,000-Year-Old Pots Contain Ancient Chinese Beer
- Big Ceramic Store: Trending Glaze Colors
Thanks for reading all the way down here! Be sure to subscribe to some of these bloggers and comment on their blogs.
If you enjoy this kind of stuff you can also subscribe to the Pottery Making Newsletter.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
Dawn Whitehand says
Thanks gain for the include – great list 🙂